• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Question Download buttons leading to Patreon.

Assman.

Reactions
I have noticed that a certain group of authors always put the download for their resource as a link that directs you to their Patreon to download the content there, instead of a direct download here on the hub.

Doesn't this kind of defeat the whole purpose of the hub? Specifically the "in-game" part?

Granted I haven't actually tried to download anything from Patreon while "in-game", but I would assume it doesn't work as simple as downloading from the hub does?

If the resource is free, yes, it defeats the whole purpose. However, for Paid or EarlyAccess assets there is no other way, you have to host externally and Patreon is the obvious choice, bad as it may be, since every legal VaM user got already an account and payment setup there.

Here is how you install stuff from Patreon and find missing dependencies:

Upvote 0
If the resource is free, yes, it defeats the whole purpose. However, for Paid or EarlyAccess assets there is no other way, you have to host externally and Patreon is the obvious choice, bad as it may be, since every legal VaM user got already an account and payment setup there.

Here is how you install stuff from Patreon and find missing dependencies:

Yes sorry, I should've specified that I was talking about the free content.

I know how to install and all that, I just find it a bit annoying to have to go to their Patreon page to be able to download their resource instead of just downloading it in the hub as it "should be".

Upvote 0
I think the problem is that free content on the Hub gets sometimes very little recognition. Most people are probably not logged into the Hub when downloading within VaM, so content does not even get likes or reviews....let alone anyone going to the Patreon site and donate. My like to download ratio for my free stuff is like 1/200. Of course they may be many who just try it and think "meh", which is fair, but 1/200?
So having people go to your Patreon site makes at least sure they know it exists, but not sure annoying your users is a good step either :D

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom