Dark Park

Assets Dark Park

Thank you for the great work!
I'm happy if you make a daytime version of the park asset.

The bench doesn't receive lights properly. If I place a light above it, the bench is still black. The bottom on the other hand is lit, even though there is no light illuminating it.

In other words, if I shine a light at the top of the bench, it'll illuminate the bottom instead.

I don't want to use the unity ambient light as that lights up the sides of the park which I want to remain black.

The bench doesn't receive lights properly. If I place a light above it, the bench is still black. The bottom on the other hand is lit, even though there is no light illuminating it.

In other words, if I shine a light at the top of the bench, it'll illuminate the bottom instead.

I don't want to use the unity ambient light as that lights up the sides of the park which I want to remain black.
thanks thiciathy for telling me of the issue , i will look into it and see whats going on and fix it.

Yeah see what you mean and the railings are inside out making them look see through
i will fix and improve the look.

VamTastic updated Dark Park with a new update entry:

Fixed some issues with the park model and some slight improvements

Many thanks to thiciathy that bought to my attention some problem with the park bench that light lit up the base of the bench instead of the top, turns out the model was a complete mess
not sure how i not realised it .
had to completely fix the whole model ,as the uv normals was flipped causing the model to look insideout.
some slight improvemnts over the old one , it may be of a different scale to the previous one
as that to had to be scaled to a G2F atom in unity as the park model was...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I don't want to be an ungrateful little asshole :x but there are different kinds of issues now:

1. The path to the asset in var is different, so it's going to break every package that depends on it (like jyy.Bad_Girl.1.var).

2. The initial/spawn position is different, so it's going to again break scenes that used it before.

3. The ground and other textures seem to be almost completely black, so it's hard/impossible to illuminate it properly (the characters are already bright enough, so increasing light intensity would overblown them).

4. It doubled in size (28->70mb) which is not that big of a deal, but it also tanks my fps now, while the first one had no impact :(

Bloom is a generic problem in rendering. Daz Studio has a similar problem, and similar settings. This graphic explains the Daz settings, somewhat. The main issue, as I see it, is that bloom should only be applied to a light source, and the surfaces nearby. In render engines, the light paths are traced in reverse, from the camera, to all reflecting surfaces, then back to the light source. This makes bloom affect all surfaces in the scene. It's basically impossible to adjust the bloom settings so that the lamp post is awash in bloom, but the figure on the park bench has none. In Daz, I rendered a pinup of an elf with glowing green eyes. The bloom effect went all the way down to her knees! I had to render it twice and layer the image to keep the bloom effect only on her face.

bloomsettings2.png

I don't want to be an ungrateful little asshole :x but there are different kinds of issues now:

1. The path to the asset in var is different, so it's going to break every package that depends on it (like jyy.Bad_Girl.1.var).

2. The initial/spawn position is different, so it's going to again break scenes that used it before.

3. The ground and other textures seem to be almost completely black, so it's hard/impossible to illuminate it properly (the characters are already bright enough, so increasing light intensity would overblown them).

4. It doubled in size (28->70mb) which is not that big of a deal, but it also tanks my fps now, while the first one had no impact :(

1.the path is slightly longer , i have fixed the asset to match exactly like the original
2. i think the spawn position should be ok ,now not sure though not tested it.
3. i have slightly lightened it but if you want the scene brighter use the scene lighting in vam
4. yes its doubled ,you may notice extra benches and a light post plus some other things. it all adds up lol
see no effect on fps , the postmagic can reduce fps

Last edited:

Fixed the asset to match exactly like the original in scale and position

Due to the original having uv issues the park will look darker as you see with
the images, notice the railings and benches look strange , like see through
the second image is the fixed uv normals. if your noot sure what i mean
imagine a cornflakes box and the printed surface is inside the box and the outside is blank
in 3d world i had to invert the inside to be outside.

Bloom is a generic problem in rendering. Daz Studio has a similar problem, and similar settings. This graphic explains the Daz settings, somewhat. The main issue, as I see it, is that bloom should only be applied to a light source, and the surfaces nearby. In render engines, the light paths are traced in reverse, from the camera, to all reflecting surfaces, then back to the light source. This makes bloom affect all surfaces in the scene. It's basically impossible to adjust the bloom settings so that the lamp post is awash in bloom, but the figure on the park bench has none. In Daz, I rendered a pinup of an elf with glowing green eyes. The bloom effect went all the way down to her knees! I had to render it twice and layer the image to keep the bloom effect only on her face.

View attachment 242126
Thank you for the insight, when you say adding bloom to a light source do you mean the lamp that lights up the scene
i asked Macgruber if it was possible to use bloom on selected objects ,instead of the whole scene. couldn`t do it.
such a pain to get right , tried to find other ways to do a bloom effect without using post processing
like using some bloom illusion.

The asset path is still different. In v1 it's

VamTastic.Dark_Park.1.var\Custom\Assets\Environment\Dark-park2.assetbundle

and in the new one it's

VamTastic.Dark_Park.3.var\Custom\Assets\Vamtastic\darkpark4.assetbundle

All scenes that had depended on this until now are referencing the first path, and these updates break them.

see no effect on fps , the postmagic can reduce fps

I just swap the park from v1 to v3 in my scene and FPS drops from 120 to 54. There's no postmagic in the scene, and only 3 spot lights on the bench.

I am on a bit old 1070, but the fps drop shouldn't be this drastic, no?

this is the last update can't do anymore with it .its holding me back on the vam city project

Reduced some grass plants and trees,changed back assetbundle to original name and loactation
i can't seem to resolve the FPS , i fixed the original with the inverted uv normals and added nothing else.
and compared it to the updated version and see not much in it with FPS

new version
View attachment 242351
original version
View attachment 242352

The asset path is still different. In v1 it's

VamTastic.Dark_Park.1.var\Custom\Assets\Environment\Dark-park2.assetbundle

and in the new one it's

VamTastic.Dark_Park.3.var\Custom\Assets\Vamtastic\darkpark4.assetbundle

All scenes that had depended on this until now are referencing the first path, and these updates break them.

I just swap the park from v1 to v3 in my scene and FPS drops from 120 to 54. There's no postmagic in the scene, and only 3 spot lights on the bench.

View attachment 242309

I am on a bit old 1070, but the fps drop shouldn't be this drastic, no?
The update is now back to the original name and environment location
as for the pain of the FPS ,i have no idea .
im using an old GTX 1650 4gb
by deleting the Atom female character the fps increased by quite a lot
i tested Vam city and the FPS is 180.
it is strange for such a small scene like the Dark Park that the fps is low.

Thank you for the insight, when you say adding bloom to a light source do you mean the lamp that lights up the scene
i asked Macgruber if it was possible to use bloom on selected objects ,instead of the whole scene. couldn`t do it.
such a pain to get right , tried to find other ways to do a bloom effect without using post processing
like using some bloom illusion.
Yes, ideally, bloom would be something added to a specific light source, not to every surface in the scene. That's the problem. It becomes a feature of the "camera" not the light source. The camera treats every surface like a light emitter. One way to fake it might be to try the HPVL plugin where you make the lamp at the top of the post have a sphere of volumetric effects around it.

Yes, ideally, bloom would be something added to a specific light source, not to every surface in the scene. That's the problem. It becomes a feature of the "camera" not the light source. The camera treats every surface like a light emitter. One way to fake it might be to try the HPVL plugin where you make the lamp at the top of the post have a sphere of volumetric effects around it.
Thank you so much for the reply , using a fake bloom effect will be very useful for the vam city subway i`m working on

I tried the HPVL plugin, but it makes a foggy scene, not a light bloom. Still interesting for spooky places.
1683487660.jpg

I tried the HPVL plugin, but it makes a foggy scene, not a light bloom. Still interesting for spooky places.
View attachment 242490
That really looks great mate , think you might be on to something there with a spooky almost silent hill vibe to it.
love it.
not tried pluginidea`s HPVL yet, but you have got me interested.

Last edited:
Hi VamTastic

At the moment I am dealing with exactly this topic, how to make a single Asset Glow or Bloom.
Did you meanwhile find a solution for how to do this?
This would be a really helpful thing for creating assets.

Hi VamTastic

At the moment I am dealing with exactly this topic, how to make a single Asset Glow or Bloom.
Did you meanwhile find a solution for how to do this?
This would be a really helpful thing for creating assets.
Hi Ghostwalden , yeah i had a lot of issues with trying to use MacGrubers PostMagic bloom .
i only wanted to glow / bloom parts of a scene like say a night scene with street lights or windows, not to bloom the whole scene.

one way is to use the emission in materials have it bright and lower the brightness on the abledo textures not to be bloomed or
Nostradamus used a particles/standard unlit shader in unity using the emission ,to help glow parts more better and using MacGrubers PostMagic bloom .
getting the levels of intensity and threshold to how you want .

Hi VamTastic

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, i saw, that Materials, that are brighter do glow more and dark materials less with the MacGruber Bloom Plugin.
But in the end it means, this is the only way to make things glow, by using MagGrubers Post magic and give the Materials
Emission in Unity and set the brightness?

On the Materials itself one can control that to a certain amount, to make materials more ore less glow.
But the thing that i find more problematic is, that the character does bloom also,
it begings to bloom really quickly if bloom intensity gets increased with Post Magic.

Hi VamTastic

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, i saw, that Materials, that are brighter do glow more and dark materials less with the MacGruber Bloom Plugin.
But in the end it means, this is the only way to make things glow, by using MagGrubers Post magic and give the Materials
Emission in Unity and set the brightness?

On the Materials itself one can control that to a certain amount, to make materials more ore less glow.
But the thing that i find more problematic is, that the character does bloom also,
it begings to bloom really quickly if bloom intensity gets increased with Post Magic.
I feel the frustration my friend and i asked Macgruber back in 2021 if there was a way to have the bloom
work on selected items not the whole scene, he said Nope, this particular implementation is just a plain&dump fullscreen effect. Can't change that.
i have not tried Nostradamus idea yet of using the particles/standard unlit shader
as you see in this image his blade spinner at the bottom is brighter using the shader
than my blade spinner that uses the standard shader with emission, you can see the play button and the cube is glowing , but when raising the threshold
the glow is gone and Nostradamus's blade spinner has a nice glow . see second image, i reduced scene lighting to show the glow .

1714290638566.png

bloom-effect.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom