Creating A Face Skin Texture

ChicoSuave

Reactions
Trying to create a new face skin texture from a photo and running in to some issues.

I loaded a Genesis 2 Female .obj file in to Blender and isolated the face. Then I projected the photo on to the 3d model. Looks great for the most part, but there seems to be an issue with the mouth. It's not showing up in the UV map texture. Just a hole where it should be.

Anybody know how to fix this?

There are some other issues with it, but those are easy fixes. The mouth thing has me stuck.

Attached an example of the texture file that I'm working with. How can I add the lips to this UV map?

Attachments

• Face Texture 6.png
    51.4 MB · Views: 0
The lips and face are separate material slots for some reason. If you add a new material and go into edit mode, you can "select" uv's/faces of a material from the materials panel. Do that for both the face and the lips, then "assign" those selected faces to the new material. (For texture painting, you may want to delete the eye lashes too.)
lips selected.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help on this! That did get the lips to show on the UV. The issue now is that they seem to be in the wrong place at least if I compare them to a typical face texture image. Makes me wonder if maybe I need to pose the model a certain way with mouth open or something? They really don't want to make this easy 😂

Screenshot 2023-11-15 082912.jpg

Thanks for the help on this! That did get the lips to show on the UV. The issue now is that they seem to be in the wrong place at least if I compare them to a typical face texture image. Makes me wonder if maybe I need to pose the model a certain way with mouth open or something? They really don't want to make this easy 😂

View attachment 306722
That's a little odd. The lips on the 3d model look good, but the 2d uv layout looks wrong for base g2f. I see you have 2 uv maps, with the base not showing (The little camera icon next to the base uv maps on the right.) Add a new material, with the base uv layout set on the model, in edit mode select the face and the lips to highlight everything you want, then assign them to the new material slot. Try adding an existing g2f face texture to check it all lines up. The lips do curve inwards so you wont be able to texture paint where they overlap, you will need to blend the missing area by hand on the 2d image panel, or in photoshop/Gimp. It's best not to leave any clear spaces on the texture, as the defuse textures don't recognise alpha transparency and any tranparent pixels will show up as black in vam. Good luck.

If the goal is to make a face texture, merge the "face"-, "lips"- and "nostrils"- materials into one "face"-material. It's simpler.
A obj exported from DAZ or VaM does have these materials.

To merge: select model > Edit mode > deselect all vertices > material tab >
"nostrils" > select
"lips" > select
"face" > select & assign
SHIFT + T should then show a correct G2F Face in the UV editor.
*project face directly to 1 texture*

The alternative would be more complicated, set up 3 materials/images for "face", "lips" and "nostrils" > project the face > combine 3 images to 1 textures.

Listed the other UV to material assignments, like FACE: face, lips, nostrils, here in a spoiler.

Hide unwanted parts like the "Eyelashes" in Edit Mode by selected them and press 'H'. Alt + H to unhide all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom