• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!
CPU Performance Patch (Up to 30% faster physics, up to 60% more FPS)

Other CPU Performance Patch (Up to 30% faster physics, up to 60% more FPS)

also trying to backport newest mono runtime to unity 2018.1.9 so I can get llvm bytecode compilation (also called Unity Burst) for probably crazy performance.

it already boots up with mono 6.12.0.206 and loads a scene, but there are still some minor issues with paths and so on. The great thing about unity is they didnt write anything themselfs and basicaly just lifted regular mono runtime with minor modifications they were legaly obliged to open source. Since C# is very portable you can just run the old unity engine on newest mono. Once I got everything working I can just turn on llvm bytecode optimization and let it rip. That way even custom unityscripts from all addons on this site should become blazing fast.

a unity game is built like this:
[vam.exe] <- process layer
[mono.dll] [unityplayer.dll] [mscorlib.dll] <- runtime and unity engine
[assembly-csharp.dll] <- the game itself
[all other scripts] <- dynamicaly loaded code

just had to built the correct mono.dll and add a few unity patches. I might also release an option with mono debugging enabled so you can just attach dnspyex to vam and step through your scripts.

Last edited:
it already boots up with mono 6.12.0.206 and loads a scene, but there are still some minor issues with paths and so on. The great thing about unity is they didnt write anything themselfs and basicaly just lifted regular mono runtime with minor modifications they were legaly obliged to open source. Since C# is very portable you can just run the old unity engine on newest mono. Once I got everything working I can just turn on llvm bytecode optimization and let it rip. That way even custom unityscripts from all addons on this site should become blazing fast.

a unity game is built like this:
[vam.exe] <- process layer
[mono.dll] [unityplayer.dll] [mscorlib.dll] <- runtime and unity engine
[assembly-csharp.dll] <- the game itself
[all other scripts] <- dynamicaly loaded code

just had to built the correct mono.dll and add a few unity patches. I might also release an option with mono debugging enabled so you can just attach dnspyex to vam and step through your scripts.
All praise the genius of turtlebackgoofy, can't wait to see the new update!! Any ETA to throw to us worshippers?

Current progress: custom unityscripts (cs files in vars) are working and I get a HIGHER fps in the default scene (350 fps) WITHOUT any other patches except setting CPU affinity in task manager. It appears the newest mono and the newest bdwgc already makes the c# skinmesh code of vam as fast as my native code plugin. This is BEFORE LLVM optimizations, those are yet to come and will be a huge deal. Afaik LLVM optimizations arent even in the newest unity engine.

I had an old ryzen 5 2600x 3.6ghz so I just upgraded to a ryzen 7 5800x3d and i saw a 15f ish ps boost on a decent scene (alpaca light show lol) .
So thats from a shitty 15 ish fps to a solid 35-40 fps.
I also upgraded from a 1080 to a 3080 which have me like 5 more fps lol
So I eneded up with a much more stable experience in VR which didnt make me feel sick.
It also allowed me to use normal physics adn the advanced option as well as more plugins and a higher res overall so an overall better experience.

Though im using virtual desktop and quest 2 from a pc with a dedicated wifi 5 router with little lag.
I wonder what other people are using ? and what your optimun settings are...
...and if youre using VD which codex / openxr runtime? And streaming settings are...

Im now going to try the CPU performance patch and report any improvements....[]-)

Back
Top Bottom