[Clothing Plugin] Static Clothing

Plugins [Clothing Plugin] Static Clothing

So, I'm about to check this out but am wondering, does this essentially allow you to use the clothing morphed in its base state...in other words, NOT affected by the morphs of the person atom? So let's take glasses like in the photo for example, does this essentially allow the clothing to just become similar to a CUA as far as not changing shape but still being connected to the person atom's head node? Thanks

Hello Stopper, I recently used this plug in the accessories of my new character Peach, and I found some problems that I explain in the video:
Just wanted to let you know and maybe encourage you to correct them if possible... who knows, maybe. ?

Any chances of making a standalone version of this, not requiring the use of the clothing plugin manager?

Any chances of making a standalone version of this, not requiring the use of the clothing plugin manager?
You mean like applying the plugin to a character and selecting clothing from a list? I wasn't planning on it but it probably wouldn't be too hard.

I'm unable to save a pose when using this plugin or wearable CUA (either vanilla,timeline or bodylanguage), the pose button is greyed out

I'm unable to save a pose when using this plugin or wearable CUA (either vanilla,timeline or bodylanguage), the pose button is greyed out
That's odd. I don't recall seeing that issue before but I'll try to reproduce. Are there other plugins loaded?

When I try to parent something to lNipple or rNipple, the whole thing just disappears. It's not inside the body, or anywhere else in the scene I could notice.

I made a set of around 120 piercings and it seems I can't port half of them to VaM :(

piercings.jpg

I already didn't bother with lips as I don't see any way to statically attach something to a lip polygon.

And I did made some labia majora sets as I've noticed Gen1/2/3 bones in static clothing dropdown, but they don't seem to be for majoras either, right? So I guess I have to drop those too.

When I try to parent something to lNipple or rNipple, the whole thing just disappears. It's not inside the body, or anywhere else in the scene I could notice.

View attachment 402391

I made a set of around 120 piercings and it seems I can't port half of them to VaM :(

View attachment 402392

I already didn't bother with lips as I don't see any way to statically attach something to a lip polygon.

And I did made some labia majora sets as I've noticed Gen1/2/3 bones in static clothing dropdown, but they don't seem to be for majoras either, right? So I guess I have to drop those too.
You can try CUAClothing. It lets clothing items spawn a CUA that can be attached to a body/hair vertex.

You can try CUAClothing. It lets clothing items spawn a CUA that can be attached to a body/hair vertex.
Oh, yes, that looks like it could solve all of the issues I have. I just need to figure out how to use unity now. Maybe I can figure out how to add physics to them too. Would that be possible?

piercing_physics.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can add physics but it should be an axis-constrained joint, not a pivot.
Also, use an empty object as the root object of your CUA and add your real CUA as a child.
That way VAM only controls the physics of the empty (which shouldn't have any).

It's also a good idea to constrain the joint to maybe 160-170° in total and rotate the CUA in-game so that it can only swing in the air.
Otherwise the collider will collide with the soft physics which will likely cause constant wobbling.
You can't omit the collider entirely, Unity 2018 derives the center of mass from the configured colliders and without any it will be at the joint.
When that happens your CUA won't dangle and only react when being pushed.

You'll have to play with the drag value a little until you feel it looks right.

Yes you can add physics but it should be an axis-constrained joint, not a pivot.
Also, use an empty object as the root object of your CUA and add your real CUA as a child.
That way VAM only controls the physics of the empty (which shouldn't have any).

It's also a good idea to constrain the joint to maybe 160-170° in total and rotate the CUA in-game so that it can only swing in the air.
Otherwise the collider will collide with the soft physics which will likely cause constant wobbling.
You can't omit the collider entirely, Unity 2018 derives the center of mass from the configured colliders and without any it will be at the joint.
When that happens your CUA won't dangle and only react when being pushed.

You'll have to play with the drag value a little until you feel it looks right.

That sounds great. ATM I don't know how to do/setup any of that. I hope I'll figure it out :) Thanks for pointers.

I've just noticed the performance impact warning on going the CUA Clothing route. Is it bad? If someone adds like 3 different nipple piercings for each nipple, and some for labia majoras, some for lips, that would be like ~12 CUA clothing assets. Is this not practical?

I'd say that's something for @Stopper to optimize ?

The Attach to Vertex plugin would allow to optimize a little by attaching empties to vertices and then parenting multiple CUAs to those.
The plugin would only do work for the empties, translating from the empty to child objects is standard Unity stuff and dirt-cheap in comparison.
But that plugin has the disadvantage that it requires manual target selection which gets stored in presets/subscenes by name.
So, for example, if the target in the preset is named "Person" but the scene has "Girl"/"Guy" the preset will not work.

Last edited:
I've just noticed the performance impact warning on going the CUA Clothing route. Is it bad? If someone adds like 3 different nipple piercings for each nipple, and some for labia majoras, some for lips, that would be like ~12 CUA clothing assets. Is this not practical?
I'd say that's something for @Stopper to optimize ?

The Attach to Vertex plugin would allow to optimize a little by attaching empties to vertices and then parenting multiple CUAs to those.
The plugin would only do work for the empties, translating from the empty to child objects is standard Unity stuff and dirt-cheap in comparison.
But that plugin has the disadvantage that it requires manual target selection which gets stored in presets/subscenes by name.
So, for example, if the target in the preset is named "Person" but the scene has "Girl"/"Guy" the preset will not work.
Attach to vertex and CUA Clothing both use the same underlying mechanics. The expensive part is loading the body/hair mesh from the GPU, but that's still pretty fast. I'm also hoping that Unity is smart enough to cache data that's already been loaded from in the same frame.

I'd say give it a shot, and if you notice perf being a problem let me know and I'll see if I can optimize it.

So to clarify, the Static Clothing plugin's inability to attach to nipples can't be fixed? Even if I figure out how to do CUAs, I'd still want to go via Static Clothing, and only use CUAs when necessary.

And I know this is off topic, but dunno where else to ask :) Here's what I'm currently trying to figure out:

1. Hinge joint is not rigid enough

No matter what combination of mass, locks, or what else I try, the joint anchor/pivot always moves around when the object is reacting to physics. Here's my current setup and the horrible way it behaves:

It's a bit better if I use box collider, but it doesn't solve the issue, and I'd rather not use more expensive colliders if I don't have to.

2. Bad rendering in VaM

When I load this in VaM, the object is black, and ignores VaM's skybox, as well as unity ambient lighting setting.

black_cua.jpg

Not sure what to do about it, or how else to set it up. Can I embed an environment reflection map into the cua?

So to clarify, the Static Clothing plugin's inability to attach to nipples can't be fixed?
I think rNipple and lNipple are not the final position of the actual tip vertices. There's a rigid-body system (I think rNipple and lNipple are a part of that) and a soft-body system plus active morphs. The skin vertex positions get synthesized from all of those. So reading the vertex positions like CUA Clothing and Attach to Vertex do is the only way to get exact positions frame-by-frame.
Hinge joint is not rigid enough
I experimented a little and adding two more sphere colliders to the left and right at the bottom of the U shape should stabilize the physics. It's still not perfect but I think that's inherent in the physics system at this small scale. Did you set the anchor object's rigid-body to isKinematic? I think that is what VAM does when you turn of "Physics" (and turning it off is appropriate for an anchor that get's positioned by a plugin).
Bad rendering in VaM
I assume the material named "Chrome" is using Unity's standard shader. Is its metallic slider properly at 1? Is its Albedo color set to a physically plausible value? Is it lit by any other light source or only by the environment? You could also apply the UnityAssetVamifier plugin to your CUA. That basically switches the shader of your material to the one VAM uses (but you only get the plugin's UI, no nice material tabs like clothing does).

I guess the assets subforum would be a good place to continue this.

Last edited:
That's odd. I don't recall seeing that issue before but I'll try to reproduce. Are there other plugins loaded?
Hi Stopper - first off, big fan of your content.

I'm having this issue too. I just tested it with no other plugins loaded except Timeline.

Back
Top Bottom