Question Casting light on a single character

Toonen1988

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have a question. Is it possible to cast a light source only on one character? For example, light source A only cast light and shadow on character A without affecting the environment or character B. And light source B only cast light and shadow on character B without affecting other characters aswell the environment. I don't know if this is technical possible. My first idea was is creating "realistic" light sources from lamps and lightbulbs. But it takes a massive hit on my machine and I only can use up to 6 light sources. So, that's why my idea was to have one lightsource simulating the sun and then each lightsource lighting up the character.

I'm already using this plugin

But now i'm looking for a way that a light source is only casting a light on a character. If this is possible, please let me know how. I want to light up the characters, without lighting up the environment or casting shadows on the floor/wall.

I can't simply turn off the shadow, because I still want to have the shadow be casted on the characters. Which creates a more "indepth" feeling.

First screenshot is without lightsource (I only have one lightsource active, which is emulating the sun). Second screenshot is with a extra lightsource, but as you can see, it also cast a light behind the character. I only want to have that light source casting on the character. Okay, I can simple change the distance, but if the character is standing close to a wall, or against the wall, the wall will still light up, even if I have the distance to a minimum. These renders are just made as a example.
1648263863.jpg
1648263710.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for replying.

So, it's technically possible but not yet in Virt a Mate. We could add it indeed to the suggestion list. I know that VaM 2.0 will be having a better light system with less impact on hardware. I'm really looking forward to.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom