Answered Build inside var file, no references.

danilo233352

Reactions
I created long ago some assets i didnt use or share. Now im creating a new scene where im adding this vars i created but i dont want to reference it inside my new var, i just want to add it to my scene and create a unique var for the scene with this assets. I hope this description its self explanatory. Thanks in advance for all the help!

P.S i tryed to add the custom files and then change the json file adding the contents and deleting the references, but it does not work.

If I understand correctly: you wanna add assets inside your package (with scene) as all in one package.

-first you need to unpack assets from said vars (inside package manager)
-edit your scene to reference newly unpacked local copies instead of assets inside package
-create new package with updated scene references
-if done correctly it should suggest to include local assets and not referencing var package

side note: if you ever plan to share those assets, it's better to have them inside own package as standalone and use them as reference.
If you only wanna download asset/hairstyle or clothes, do you also wanna download garbage(dependencies) that comes with it? 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly: you wanna add assets inside your package (with scene) as all in one package.

-first you need to unpack assets from said vars (inside package manager)
-edit your scene to reference newly unpacked local copies instead of assets inside package
-create new package with updated scene references
-if done correctly it should suggest to include local assets and not referencing var package

side note: if you ever plan to share those assets, it's better to have them inside own package as standalone and use them as reference.
If you only wanna download asset/hairstyle or clothes, do you also wanna download garbage(dependencies) that comes with it? 🤷‍♂️

I think you explained perfectly what im trying to do, but I didnt understand how this works...
So i unpacked from the package manager the 2 vars inside my scene, loaded my scene and opened the package builder, then when i add the json scene file and press "prep. package" all the content still in references instead of contents, only the json and jpg of the scene are showing on contents.

Upvote 0
So i unpacked from the package manager the 2 vars inside my scene, loaded my scene and opened the package builder, then when i add the json scene file and press "prep. package" all the content still in references instead of contents, only the json and jpg of the scene are showing on contents.
It sounds like you didn't edit your scene, still referencing var assets.
You need to edit your scene.json to use local copies.

Either manually edit .json file
or load your scene and remove var assets, than add local assets, save scene.

EDIT: Just to be safe, save as new scene, in case you do something wrong (so you don't lose your scene).

Upvote 0
Let me explain with a sample:
I downloaded "Heather" Look by Azimuth.
Unpacked the look on the Package manager.
Loaded the look and created an appearance preset of the model.
Created a new scene using the default VAM 3 point light setup
Changed the appearance preset of the default model with the one i created before of the "Heather" look.
Saved the scene
Opened the package builder an added the json file of the scene saved before, prep. package, and then in the reference list appears the heather look var, and also the files of the look are not on the custom folder, i checked the path of the files on the reference but even unpacked the look, still inside the var and not on my local custom folder.

Maybe im doing everything wrong here, if you can give me the correct steps I will be eternally grateful ^^

Upvote 0
Opened the package builder an added the json file of the scene saved before, prep. package, and then in the reference list appears the heather look var, and also the files of the look are not on the custom folder, i checked the path of the files on the reference but even unpacked the look, still inside the var and not on my local custom folder.

Maybe im doing everything wrong here, if you can give me the correct steps I will be eternally grateful ^^
I see... maybe I should have been more specific.

Let me try to explain it further,
1) When you create/finalize var package, it is saved/exported inside AddonPackages as .var package.
Anything used while packaging is auto created inside AddonPackagesBuilder as folder with same naming and content (as finalized .var)

2) When you unpack it via package manager it's kinda in reverse.
.var is renamed to .var.orig and content is unpacked into folder with same name (with meta and everything), same way it looks inside AddonPackagesBuilder.

Anything inside AddonPackages either var package or unpacked folder named .var (with meta) is still treated as var package inside VaM.
You need to manually copy/move files you need inside custom folder (assets, hairstyle, whatever...),
only than it will suggest to package those files (instead of referencing).

Conclusion: If you only unpack package it's still treated as package (non-local reference), it doesn't matter if inside folder or var package.

EDIT: I suggested safer route... Unpack it, grab what you need, restore it.
But in reality var package is like any other archive, you can open it (via 7zip,winzip,winrar,...) and drag/extract what you need.
It only matters when manually packaging (what settings/format/compression), other than that you can simply grab from package and avoid all unpack/repack process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi! thanks for all the replies but still not working for me...
I unpacked the vars on references, copied the the folders/files appearing on the reference list and paste it on the custom folder inside VaM installation. Prep the package and now I can see references pointing at the same place of the content i put on references manually. Also tryed to paste directly on the folder VaM creates on AddonPackagesBuilder but the package builder still referencing the .vam files.

Here you can see what im talking about.

Upvote 0
I unpacked the vars on references, copied the the folders/files appearing on the reference list and paste it on the custom folder inside VaM installation. Prep the package and now I can see references pointing at the same place of the content i put on references manually. Also tryed to paste directly on the folder VaM creates on AddonPackagesBuilder but the package builder still referencing the .vam files.
I dunno how you unpacked it but on video you equipped packaged skirt (indicated by pink background and cube).

Here is example of same package, all I did was drag PL_Artists folder inside VaM..\Custom\Clothing\Female
unpack.jpg

Ps. Could you please remove all upvotes on my replies? It messes up discussion flow.

EDIT: If you are doing this while VaM is running you should hit refresh/rescan (if local copy is not showing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno how you unpacked it but on video you equipped packaged skirt (indicated by pink background and cube).

Here is example of same package, all I did was drag PL_Artists folder inside VaM..\Custom\Clothing\Female
View attachment 220734

Ps. Could you please remove all upvotes on my replies? It messes up discussion flow.

EDIT: If you are doing this while VaM is running you should hit refresh/rescan (if local copy is not showing).

PERFECT IT WORKED!!!
When you get it the first time all makes sense.

Thanks for all the help m8, i was adding the package clothes instead of my local copies, everything clear now.

Thanks again.

Ps. at least let me upvote the final answer n.n

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom