Question BKM for giving credit?

SlimerJSpud

Reactions
I see a lot of variations on how creators give credit to others for assets used. Some just have creator names, some names and asset types, some just copy/paste the var.depend.txt file contents. Others have full blown links to content. Is there an automated way to generate links to the assets? The var.depend.txt is generated by Package Builder, which has product names, but not a page of links. I'd like to post my first custom character, so I'm looking for best known methods. Thanks.

I don't know what or even if there is a generally accepted best practice. But as someone who creates content that gets used quite a bit I will say that as a creator I really appreciate it when someone does an @VirtaArtieMitchel when they use my resource.

If a creator's resource is a dependency they will still get the downloads, but the @ notifies them that their stuff was used and I know a lot of us really enjoy searching our name and seeing what people are using our stuff for.

If you go the extra mile and link back to the resource that is also hugely appreciated!

EDIT: See @RandomVAMUser they are right. Just want to point out I'm wrong lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True, there are few ways people leave credit, but there is only one right way.
"To give credit, you must list the creator and what you used on your resource description page. Just pointing to the dependencies tab or including the depend.txt file is not enough. Take time to give proper credit and thanks."
"The depend.txt and meta.json files don't tell you about content you may have modified and packed in to your var. Only you know that. You must keep track of what you are using and the source licenses and make sure you are compliant."

Bad examples:
1. No credit at all for referenced CC-BY content or redistributed content, it can be taken down with report as failing to leave proper attribution.

2. Copy-pasting depend.txt content as "credit" is the quickest, laziest and disrespectful (imo) way of crediting someones work.
Links inside depend.txt doesn't link to content used (mostly patreon page, reddit or no links at all).

3. You have creators writing credits like "Hairstyle by XYZcreator" or "Thanks to YZXcreator for clothes".
What hairstyle? What clothes?

Best way you can leave credit and be safe:
As qouted above, you should take your time, to properly credit all CC-BY content:
-provide a link to a creator: either @RandomVAMUser, hub user page, or external page (if user doesn't use hub)
-link to exact resource used: not hub user page or general patreon page, link actual resource page (patreon post if external)
-you also wanna leave credits inside your package (inside credits section)
-bonus: you could also credit FC/public domain content, as a good sport

EDIT: There is no automated system and depend.txt is not enough.
Plus depend.txt also lists all sub-dependencies (dependencies of dependencies) that you don't even use.But that's more of a packaging issue.
Who knows, if there were no "level 2" references inside meta, would it make var system better or worse?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's why I asked. The answer appears to be there is no automated method to generate a list of links. That would make things a lot easier.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom