Atoms in Edit Mode invisible

Pocketeer

Reactions
Hey people, I'm newly registered but have been enjoying VaM for about a year now. I was uising it on my Oculus Rift S that is now sadly completely broken after 4 years. I never had any issues in VaM with it, everything worked smoothly and perfectly fine. But now I got myself the Pico 3 Neo Link because I wanted to have a VR headset with a Display Port cable like Rift S so VaM runs in better quality, and didn't want to pay more than 500€ for one.

Now I'm having a very weird problem in VaM. To me it makes no sense for that problem to be VR headset related but it simply must be since I haven't changed anything in VaM or on my entire PC at all since then. The only new thing is the headset. Now I can't see any atoms in a scene at all anymore. Edit mode with or without the menu open doesen't show anything. I checked all settings and tried different things to no avail. I can still select atoms even when invisible when using Edit Mode but I have to be super close to it, so no selecting it from afar etc. Makes moving things around in a scene completely impossible. To me VaM is unplayable like that.

Another thing is, I can see the green possess-spheres but I can only possess the head. When using Rift S I could always select the head and the green spheres on all the other atoms were still showing so I could possess another 2 of them which were both hands of the selected person atom. Now after I possess the head the spheres disappear because the possession mode ends immediately. Was the 3-spheres-possession an Oculus-exclusive feature or something? Ist it because the controllers had touch recognition and the new ones need a button pressed or something like that?

Can someone please help or at least explain to me how the hell an ingame function can be VR headset related at all!? Thanks in advance. Otherwise I'm returning the Pico 3 back to Amazon and getting a used Rift S or something... It was much better.

Ist it because the controllers had touch recognition and the new ones need a button pressed or something like that?
Oculus controller indeed have that. You had to touch (not press) buttons for the atoms to show up in edit mode. If the Pico controllers don't have that "touch" feature, then VaM would just think you aren't touching buttons.

No idea how it would affect possesion, though.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, with Oculus I had the option to just touch the controller button to see the atoms in Edit Mode with the menu closed, but I also could see the atoms permanently when Edit Mode was enabled and the menu open. Now even with it open I don't see any. And yes also the weird possession change, whatever caused that. I'm at a loss here. Hoping for someone to either know a solution to this or who can confirm that it's because of the controllers missing the touch function, in which case I'm returning the Pico 3.

I know in Steam VR we can re-map the controllers. Doesn't Occulus have any way to do that?

Thanks for your reply.

I never had to remap anything in Oculus, it all simply worked perfectly in VaM right from the start. And no I didn't see any possibility to remap the buttons or triggers in the Oculus software. I tried remapping some buttons in SteamVR with the Pico but it didn't help to show the atoms ingame. I'm returning the Pico 3, it has some weird white lines in both lenses anyway that are probably not normal. I didn't have any such problems with the Rift S.

But another question, especially to people using the Meta Quest 2/Pro with the Link Cable: Is VaM still looking good and being projected in the headset without any or barely any input lag? I only bought the Pico because it has a Display Port cable so the video quality doesen't get compressed and looks bad. Maybe it's not that bad without a DP cable?

Just a thought....you haven't got a scene where some/all atoms are simply hidden? Some creators do that, although usually just with unimportant atoms to get them out of the way. "Hidden" means you can still see the thing normally in the scene, you just can't select it and it doesn't have green icons.
1679937635623.png

Thanks for your idea. but that's definately not it. I tried many different scenes, also some I created/modified myself. As of a few hours ago I don't have the Pico 3 anymore and am now thinking about what to get next. I want something better with touch-capable controllers just in case. But sadly all the VR headsets with a DP cable are pretty expensive. If the Index wasn't still at over 1k after 4 years I'd be getting that.

Just wanted to say, it indeed was the Pico 3's fault, or its controllers. I'm back to a Rift S again because for VaM that is more than good enough for me and I don't have to use SteamVR which is annoying and buggy. Oculus software is much more user friendly. Apparently VaM needs touch-controllers to fully work.

Back
Top Bottom