Question Are VaM lights fully GPU based?

3rdStoryline

Reactions
Just wanting to know, and if they aren't is there a way that they could be? I want to light two figures from all sides, but it begins to lower my frame rate quite a lot once I've exceeded 3 lights, yet my GPU isn't being fully utilized. I know simulations (physics/scripts/etc.) require CPU and that they are a primary bottleneck, but I was wondering if VaM is utilizing CPU for lighting as-well to some degree. And if it was possible to maybe make them fully GPU based instead of being shared? If that is in fact the case.

Try some of the light presets , there maybe some that will work for you . Limited to six lights at one time in Unity/Vam. You can truck it by baking in lights in your environment in unity.

Upvote 0
Try some of the light presets , there maybe some that will work for you . Limited to six lights at one time in Unity/Vam. You can truck it by baking in lights in your environment in unity.
Do Realtime lights in an Assetbundle have better performance then the lights in VaM? Or are they utilizing the same thing? Only downside to baked lighting, is that it doesn't light the models and just the environment. That's my primary problem, is I'm trying to light the models from all angles, without suddenly getting a big fps drop from adding 1 light past 3.

Like frames are consistently over 200, the moment a 4th light drops in, my frames drop to 60-80. (thats with 2 persons/models) I'm sorta confused at whats causing it.

It is a physics heavy scene. But I'm struggling to understand why there is such a big frame drop on a 4th light being added.

My goal is to have a scene well lit for VR purposes, and from any direction. Trying to make it a "your the photographer" sorta scene, so that any angle will be well lit, but that's hard to do with only 3 point lighting. Unless of course I slap the lighting rig to Camera Window. But I feel like swinging the lights around with the sudden movements that come from VR head movements, would cause chaotic performance.

I did just download some lighting rigs, will see how they fair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom