Question 2020 CPU and GPU

Bako

Reactions
Hi Community,

I have a i7 9700k and a RTX 2080, but I'm still not very happy with the performance. It's around 30 frames.
Vam needs a good single core Performance. Do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade my CPU to 12600k? Or should I try to overclock my 9700k? Or is it a problem with my GPU?
I'm using a quest 1 btw.

Thank you very much !

Thanks for the fast answer. How many fps do you have and had with the old equipment and the new now? Maybe I upgrade to the same hardware as you as well.

Upvote 0
I made a little performance test which is in the benchmark thread: https://hub.virtamate.com/threads/benchmark-result-discussion.13131/page-9#post-38704

The "funny" thing with VaM 1.X is: the more stuff (clothings, morphs, looks, whatever) you install, the more your performance will decrease. This is not 1:1 and I still don't know exactly what causes this problem, but if you have installed a ton of stuff and you install a fresh copy of VaM, opening the same scene will pretty sure give you more performance.
It's kind of an unsolved riddle.

I want you to just be aware of the fact that VaM 1.X is really bad optimized. CPU single core is a big bonus, GPU performance is nice to have, but it's pretty expensive to get some good performance and after adding a third person in a scene (1 male, 2 females) your performance will be bad this or that way.
Physic-simulated hair eats up a LOT of performance as well as simulated clothings. Lights can be a problem too.

You have to try out to find some good settings for your system and you have to know what decreases your performance big time. ;)

btw: 4000 series from Nvidia is right around the corner and Ryzen 7000 is not that far away as well as new AMD GPUs.
If you can wait, I'd wait.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's some few tips you can try :

-You should use only 1 light or two by scene.
-Remove all the unused assets.
-Decrease the speed of the scene from 1 to 0.5. Even 1 to 0.8 will give you FPS.
-If you still get in trouble, set collisions from high to 1.

I can work with 40-50 fps thourhg this. With ryzen 5 + 1060 TI.

Upvote 0
Really a shame current VAM has no multi thread cpu support in 2022.

If i check the current benchmark tests it does not meets the recommended specs of 90 hz in vr even with just one person in a more complex scene.

A pain for me is that some new scenes incl their assets and three persons integrated are performing so bad now in vr that they do not even reach 15 frames a sec which is a stutterfest. And this even with a RTX 3080 and a Intel i9 and 64 Gig of RAM.

I really wonder that the VAM developers just skip vam here in not supporting current gpu / cpu technology to offer best possible performance support for VAM V1 we all use and love currently.

What is so difficult here to add multi threads support?
My wish would be it would at least still get a push in performance regarding multi person scenes in adding a better gpu / cpu support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like said before from various people VaM 1.x unity version don't support multi threading. You have to deal with it ;)

Edit
More precise answer down below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really a shame current VAM has no multi thread cpu support in 2022.

What is so difficult here to add multi threads support?
Vam DOES have multi-thread support. And is as heavily multi threaded as it can possibly be.

The problem is that Vam is using an old version of unity that forces all model physics onto a single cpu thread. That's the bottleneck.

And we're stuck with that Unity build (2018.1.9f2) because builds after that point made changes that break Vam on a very basic level. It would take a huge amount of work to patch up 1.x to work with more modern Unity builds.

Meshed decided that it just didn't make any sense to put that much time into fixing a program based on what is, by now, pretty ancient technology. The foundations of Vam were built in 2014 or 15, and things have changed a lot since then! It made more sense to start from scratch and build a modern version of Vam.

That's 2.x

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom