Question Any easy way to cleanup my VAM folder?

SSwmun

Reactions
So I have almost 300gbs and decided to do a fresh install. Is there any easy way for me to move a scene over with all the plugins, looks and clothes within the given scene, into the fresh VAM folder as a single var or anything? I only have a handful of scenes I use, that I wanna transfer to the fresh VAM folder, but some of them have a whole bunch of characters with clothes and plugins.

The short answer would be: "unfortunately no!"

But so you only have only a handful of scenes, it is still not too late. It would be much more work with hundreds of scenes, like for many of us.

- First (brute) option: Install a fresh VaM and move over your scenes. Then open the error messages and move over all the dependencies that are not found.

- Second (elaborated) option: Create your own Var package with the build-in package creator, one for every single scene you want to keep. It will automatically include some local stuff and creates a dependencies list. Then move over the new Var files and all dependencies from those lists to your new VaM folder.

Upvote 0
Or, if this works, upload your scene to the hub and click on "download all" 😁

But I don't know if this works and it would be spam I think.

Upvote 0
The short answer would be: "unfortunately no!"

But so you only have only a handful of scenes, it is still not too late. It would be much more work with hundreds of scenes, like for many of us.

- First (brute) option: Install a fresh VaM and move over your scenes. Then open the error messages and move over all the dependencies that are not found.

- Second (elaborated) option: Create your own Var package with the build-in package creator, one for every single scene you want to keep. It will automatically include some local stuff and creates a dependencies list. Then move over the new Var files and all dependencies from those lists to your new VaM folder.
I tried the packaging it into a single var file and moving it over but some of the files were things I dont own the liscenses to, i think, so the vars didnt include those outfits or morphs. Unless im missing something when it comes to making the scene and all dependencies within it into a var file? DO I have to be the original creator in order for a paid item to be included within the var? My orgional idea was to just make individual vars out of each scene with all the dependencies for it and just move those over. That didnt work so I was asking on here or I just didn't do it correctly.

Upvote 0
Or, if this works, upload your scene to the hub and click on "download all" 😁

But I don't know if this works and it would be spam I think.
The scenes include alot of paid content, which I dont think I can publish. Or I dont know if I can keep it private while published download them all and then delete them?

Upvote 0
Forget what I said, it was kind of a joke. Publishing paid content would be against the rules as well.

The easiest way I think would be, copy all stuff you need for your scenes manually from the old folders to the new folders.

Upvote 0
Forget what I said, it was kind of a joke. Publishing paid content would be against the rules as well.

The easiest way I think would be, copy all stuff you need for your scenes manually from the old folders to the new folders.
damn was hoping something like this would work, would be way easier too

Upvote 0
@SSwmun If you have copied your stuff from the old to the new folder, open one of your scenes after an other and watch the error log. Like I said in my first suggestion, you than have to manually copy the stuff that is shown as missing in the error log. I called it "brute", but it is somewhat simple.

I tried the packaging it into a single var file and moving it over but some of the files were things I dont own the liscenses to,
You have to create a separate VAR for EVERY of your scenes, don't put everything in a single one. The package creator will create a dependency list of stuff from other VAR files used in your scene. Now identify every dependency Var from those list and move it over to your new installation. Do this for every single of your new VAR scenes.

damn was hoping something like this would work, would be way easier too
That's why I have said there is NO easy way. But you are lucky with having only a handfull of scenes. Think of having hundreds of scenes!

Upvote 0
I am AFK for the rest of the week, so I can't give answers. Don't think I am ignoring you ;)

Upvote 0
DO I have to be the original creator in order for a paid item to be included within the var? My orgional idea was to just make individual vars out of each scene with all the dependencies for it and just move those over. That didnt work so I was asking on here or I just didn't do it correctly.
It would partially work:
  • You will get all the content that was not packaged (i.e. the content in your "Custom" folder which was used in the scene you packaged).
    Just a word of warning: this will generate duplicate content if you package separately 2 scenes using the same custom content. It would be better to put all the scenes you want to keep in a single package.
    Note that if (and only if) this VAR package is for personal use, you can add unpackaged paid content.
  • You will have dependencies to packaged content (i.e. the AddonPackages you are using in your scene). But dependencies are only links: no actual content is stored into your VAR (so there is no issue with having dependencies to paid content). Thus it will not bring along the content you want.
    That being said, there is a way to automatically download all dependencies, provided they are Hub-hosted. This is what @HolySchmidt said, except there is no need to upload your package to the Hub:
    • Put your homemade package in the AddonPackage folder of your new install
    • Go to the Package Manager:
      1637269685204.png
    • Rescan the packages if you've added your VAR while VAM was open (otherwise this step is unnecessary):
      1637269817163.png
    • Scan the Hub for missing packages:
      1637269872825.png
    • Click on "Download All":
      1637268788572.png

It will not work for VAR packages that are not Hub-hosted - which includes all paid content. But you will find their names on the error log when you open VAM. You'll have to get those manually...

A last advice: when not made with the intention to be packaged, scenes could quickly have a huge dependency list. It'd be better to start with an empty scene and add all the content you want to transfer, rather than taking scenes you've made a while ago without thinking about this.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom