Animated Arcade Cabinets?

BStarG2

Reactions
I'm not even sure if it'd be possible to start with, so I guess this is just a general 'idea' thread more than an actual "request".

But if there's various artists doing work for VAM reading this, then this is what I have in mind:

Making an Arcade game cabinet asset (I'd guess it would be a AssetBundle item), WITH a screen that's actually animated just like (or parts of) the original arcade cabinet's game is. Let's say, how most Arcade games had some form of main menu animations going, or usually you'd see automatic, pre-recorded gameplay footage that would start playing when nothing happens in the main menu after some time.

So within VAM, in the scene, you'd have the Arcade game cabinet (whichever cabinet of whatever game it may be) and the screen would be animated too (and if possible would also be a light source, it could emit light, but I guess that's an extra).

Would that be possible? I mean I know the cabinet itself can be done, of course, it's just a mesh. But the animated screen part is probably the 'tough challenge' (or maybe it's not, maybe it would actually be very easy, I have no ideal; which is why I'm asking here).

Thanks.

Might be possible with this plugin

Or you could use the built-in browser and play a youtube video.

Surely you can get an arcade cabinet as an asset, yes.

As for the screen, if you want something you can interact with, you can use the WindowCamera or a SpyCam asset so it displays a hidden part of the scene. And add some buttons to interact with it.
It would be something similar as the cinema here:

there is an arcade asset on the hub i've seen recently but can't find it now sorry, search is a nightmare, it's something like a japanese classic arcade thing

i wanted to make something like that with playable games, had it on patreon on a poll but didn't win

for gifs, imo you can just add an image panel over the screen and link it to the cabinet asset. or a webpanel and get something interactive going like https://speckyboy.com/retro-video-games-html5-js-css/

Ok thanks a lot guys, I see there's already enough ways to make it happen; and it looks easy enough that even I could do it (which is saying a lot lol, I'm an extra noob at most of this but I do use Blender here and there, I could attempt doing an arcade cabinet if need be, or modifying an existing one if it's free somewhere).

That Taito Vewlix arcade model linked above is a good start at least to practice the animated screen part of it. But the actual arcade cabinets I had in mind were more in the lines of the classic 90s fighting games cabinets like the Mortal Kombats, Killer Instinct or Street Fighters.

I've got my own cabinet, with the emulation chip. Its got 5K+ games on it (from all over the world). It is great, but it did cost me more than my VAM pc. Not sure what I was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom