AMD Radeon 5700XT running hot

Skua0169

Reactions
I have noticed when running VAM 1.2 my GPU is running at 95-99% usage. Is that normal? This is with a scene with 2 models, minimal clothing. My CPU is a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.

VaM is a very demanding program. Most of the time, either one core of your CPU or your GPU will be running at 100%.

Thanks, that is what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I was not going to overwork the GPU. It runs at 75C.

That's hot, but not crazily hot.

If there's a noticeable layer of dust inside your computer case, there's almost certainly dust coating your CPU and GPU heat sinks, as well, which can reduce their cooling ability. I make it a point to blow them out with compressed air once or twice a year.

RTX 5700xt's are known for running extremely hot at the junction (upwards to 110c). My average overall GPU temp is a consistant 60c, but the junction will always be at over 100c. AMD says that is "normal". I undervolt my card, because IMO 110c is too damn hot.

Its also best to make sure adrenalin software is set to default settings. Do not use the preset gaming, home etc. settings. You can adjust your GPU fan speeds manually on adrenalin as well.

I run a 3950x, and the temps usually stay around 55-60c even with heavy scenes. Best investment i made was aftermarket case fans. Normal stock case fans suck. I have six 2000 rpm fans running. Which are surprisingly quiet. My case is literally a wind tunnel. Like above says. Keep your heat sinks clean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom