Question Advanced Speech Bubble Question

TripleR

Reactions
Is it possible to set the text in a speech bubble equal to the text of an object such as the text in a UIText object? I need to be able to store a response over time. I was hoping to trigger a UIText text change in the moment and then call that text when needed, later in the story.

Perhaps not directly, but you could make a system to pick a different choice of speech bubble text using logicbricks.
I also suggest taking a look at VAMStory by hazmhox if you want to do story driven scenes with much more control and options than the speech bubbles allow.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, Atani! :)

I'm working on a pretty complex scene that isn't very linear. I've been using MacGruber's StateMachine along with SPQR's Aeternum Tools to make most of this happen so far. I know that I can make it happen by setting a variable using Dynamic Numbers + Dynamic Conditions from SPQR's toolkit but I would need to check the variable that against a long list of conditions. It would be so much easier to just store the text value after the user's choice and grab it later :p

I know that I've seen the VAMStory plugin but I haven't touched it yet. I'll probably look that over to see what it can do :)

Upvote 0
know that I can make it happen by setting a variable using Dynamic Numbers + Dynamic Conditions from SPQR's toolkit but I would need to check the variable that against a long list of conditions. It would be so much easier to just store the text value after the user's choice and grab it later :p

Dynamic Triggers in that pack might help. It basically transforms UIText atoms in variable holders, and they can replace anything in any trigger. You add that plugin to an UIText and set a trigger in it that sets the speech bubble to "Example!", and in the plugin set "Example!" as the string to replace. Then, whenever you trigger the plugin, it will do that trigger that you set (to update the speech bubble) but it will also replace "Example!" with whatever is in the UIText atom text. So it will update the speech bubble with whatever you have in the text atom.

Upvote 0
Dynamic Triggers in that pack might help. It basically transforms UIText atoms in variable holders, and they can replace anything in any trigger. You add that plugin to an UIText and set a trigger in it that sets the speech bubble to "Example!", and in the plugin set "Example!" as the string to replace. Then, whenever you trigger the plugin, it will do that trigger that you set (to update the speech bubble) but it will also replace "Example!" with whatever is in the UIText atom text. So it will update the speech bubble with whatever you have in the text atom.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Oh my word, that's so good! The Dynamic Triggers plugin was one of the only things that I didn't quite understand from your pack. I didn't realize how powerful it was. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it! :) I've just started using your toolkit these past couple of weeks but it's been opening so many doors. You've kind of been my hero. Thank you again!

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was looking for! Oh my word, that's so good! The Dynamic Triggers plugin was one of the only things that I didn't quite understand from your pack. I didn't realize how powerful it was. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it!

Of course, I'm glad it helps! Yeah, it can be used for tons of things. It basically treats the whole trigger as a string (like vam would save it in the json) and replaces things in that. So you can alter virtually anything. The only thing to be careful at is to not use very generic wildcards. If it looks to replace "1" for example, there might be lots of 1s in the the trigger, maybe the atom name, maybe something else. So the trigger should have some value that's more unique. That's why in demos I set it to values like "69" when it's something with numbers

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom