A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

Guides A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

no need to say sorry - those are good questions and the guide needs an update. <3

Generally, if youre using VirtualDesktop with a launch.bat to bypass SteamVR, youre golden. This guide's performance improvements revolve around a cable connection and native VR software like the MetaQuestLink.

For VirtualDesktop, the bad Asynchronous Spacewarp gets replaced with the awesome Synchronous Spacewarp, which is waaaaay better than the Meta counterpart and actually improves smoothness instead of taking it away. Can definately recommend setting the "SSW" to always in the VD streaming settings, unless you have a beastly machine that pulls of stable 120fps on its own.

So if we are using VD without SteamVR the only optimization that makes sense is SSW? no need for vrmodapp?
I have tried SSW, and I'm not sure if it makes a difference, my scenes (not too complex, only 2 persons usually) are running between 20 and 40 fps
Also I think there is a big debate about if it's good or not (I'm wireless btw):

So if we are using VD without SteamVR the only optimization that makes sense is SSW? no need for vrmodapp?
I have tried SSW, and I'm not sure if it makes a difference, my scenes (not too complex, only 2 persons usually) are running between 20 and 40 fps
Also I think there is a big debate about if it's good or not (I'm wireless btw):
There are alot of different factors if we want to discuss how much sense it makes to use different tools. For example, the vrmodapp/vrperfkit will only help you if your system is bottlenecked by your GPU - it wont help you on a CPU bottleneck at all. SSW is different and better there, from what i understand its basically the equivalent of afmf/dlss3 for VR headsets. Furthermore, i have no idea if these tools work with VirtualDesktop at all, i didnt test it at the time of writing the Guide but its a great thing to experiment around with for the update to it.

There are also alot of details that matter for VD, for example your WIFI connection, background software, firewall settings, VD's quality settings - and so on. I havent experimented with alot of setups, basically just the Quest2, Quest3, 12600k/3080/32gb and 14900k/4080/64gb with the same WIFI connection. Im rather sensitive if it comes to game smoothness and for the setups ive tried, the SSW makes a very, very clear difference. The FPS ive targeted on both setups were stable and capped 60 which got warped to 120 with the SSW. This is noticably smoother than the 70-110 "real" FPS range im having when SSW isnt enabled. This of course might be completely different for another "real" fps range, wifi setup etc.

If i would work with your FPS range, id probably try out locking to 30FPS and then warping to stable 60 with SSW. Maybe lower the quality settings to cap at 45 which then warps to stable 90. Frame stability matters alot for the overall feeling.

About Lossless Scaling app,it actually decreases fps by 20% for me...From 320 fps in default scene to 260(desktop mode)

Last edited:
About Lossless Scaling app,it actually decreases fps by 20% for me...From 320 fps in default scene to 260(desktop mode)
Lossless scaling has vastly improved since this guide was written and now enables framegen (afmf/dlss3 tech) for every GPU. Its highly likely that you have this enabled as it is the default setting iirc. Your regular fps counter and your GPU fps counter doesnt display the actual FPS in that case any longer. Toggle the "Draw FPS" switch in Lossless scaling itself to see the actual FPS youre getting with framegen.

Framegen is turned off by default,plus fps need to be capped for it to start working as far as I know
Just tried this app with VR mode,there is no difference for me in both perfomance and image quality,honestly I think its not working at all

Last edited:
Framegen is turned off by default,plus fps need to be capped for it to start working as far as I know
Just tried this app with VR mode,there is no difference for me in both perfomance and image quality,honestly I think its not working at all
Correct, Lossless scaling does not work in VR - thats why i specifically wrote "For Desktop" above it in the guide. To get positive results for desktop, you need to set an upscaling method and configure it properly. Or enable the framegen. Theres lots of Videos and Guides about which upscalers and which settings do what specifically, youll find plenty with a quick google search.

Back
Top Bottom