A request for a randomizer button / entire person randomizer

itclanon

Reactions
I've dug around a bit and can't seem to find anything similar to what I'm looking for, so I'm putting a post out to see if anybody has had any success in creating it (or something even remotely close to it).

To put it plainly - I want to be able to fully randomize a person. Either a 'random' button on morphs or a plugin that can read a list of morphs and select random values would be perfect, but it doesn't seem to exist. Most of my enjoyment comes from creating people, as VaM is arguably the best 'character creator' I've ever seen. Part of the fun for me in said character creators is being able to generate somebody at random and then tweak them later. Right now in VaM, this can only be achieved by blindly selecting morphs, changing the values, and then adjusting things later to make them look... human again.

Obviously this comes with the caveat that some morphs are complete looks, some morphs are FAR too aggressive in what they change, and others will occasionally do nothing at all. That being said, having some kind of control over what is being randomized is 100% necessary; digging through thousands of morphs to find the one that's causing issues would be an absolute pain in the ass.

There are a few 'randomizer' scenes / tools that I've seen here, but most of them only have a few pre-loaded looks or don't seem to function properly anymore. If anybody has any insight on how this can be acheived, if they've found a scene or plugin that can do it, or even if you feel like you can take on the task of creating it - please let me know.

I have created a randomizer button that I use in almost all my scenes. I've been tweaking it over the past year or so and it works great. I am not sharing it at the moment because it uses a lot of custom morphs from a lot of different creators (some of which are not even available any more), but I will tell you exactly how to make it. It uses mostly mcgrubers logicbrick called valuerandom. You add the plugin for EACH morph you want to randomize. You CANNOT just add it once and randomize many morphs at once, as, they will all morph in the same amount, which reduces the randomness. For example, add the valuerandom plugin, and select person - geometry - nose size. Choose a value from 0 to say 0.5. Add another valuerandom plugin. select person - geometry - nose bridge width.... you get the idea. The thing to be careful of is morphs that will add together, for example breast shape. You may get unrealistically large breasts. For that case I will use randomchoice logicbrick which will choose 1 valuerandom out of several breast shapes. You can also use randomchoice to select a skin and hair. Everytime someone releases a nice hair I will save the preset and add it to the randomchoice plugin. Another thing to be careful of is heads (Victoria head, Viviane head, etc). You can only go up to maybe 0.15 for each or you will get bad results. Just reduce as needed.

Then you just creaste a button that triggers all these plugins. Your first button action may have to be a morph preset with everything at zero.

By carefullly modifying this randomizer I get some really great results.

I have created a randomizer button that I use in almost all my scenes. I've been tweaking it over the past year or so and it works great. I am not sharing it at the moment because it uses a lot of custom morphs from a lot of different creators (some of which are not even available any more), but I will tell you exactly how to make it. It uses mostly mcgrubers logicbrick called valuerandom. You add the plugin for EACH morph you want to randomize. You CANNOT just add it once and randomize many morphs at once, as, they will all morph in the same amount, which reduces the randomness. For example, add the valuerandom plugin, and select person - geometry - nose size. Choose a value from 0 to say 0.5. Add another valuerandom plugin. select person - geometry - nose bridge width.... you get the idea. The thing to be careful of is morphs that will add together, for example breast shape. You may get unrealistically large breasts. For that case I will use randomchoice logicbrick which will choose 1 valuerandom out of several breast shapes. You can also use randomchoice to select a skin and hair. Everytime someone releases a nice hair I will save the preset and add it to the randomchoice plugin. Another thing to be careful of is heads (Victoria head, Viviane head, etc). You can only go up to maybe 0.15 for each or you will get bad results. Just reduce as needed.

Then you just creaste a button that triggers all these plugins. Your first button action may have to be a morph preset with everything at zero.

By carefullly modifying this randomizer I get some really great results.
This is awesome, and exactly what I want. But I unfortunately have zero idea how to use the logic stuff, so i've got some learning to do. I attempted to do as you instructed, but i can't seem to find the morphs nested underneath geometry.

Really appreciate the explanation either way, gonna do some digging and see what I can learn

This is awesome, and exactly what I want. But I unfortunately have zero idea how to use the logic stuff, so i've got some learning to do. I attempted to do as you instructed, but i can't seem to find the morphs nested underneath geometry.

Really appreciate the explanation either way, gonna do some digging and see what I can learn
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, only favorited morphs will show up when you try to add them to the trigger action, at least for that plugin. You check the favorite box next to the morphs, save the scene, and I think you will probably have to exit vam and restart the scene, then they will be searchable in geometry.

Don't be too intimidated by logicbricks, they are just a bunch of really useful and mostly easy to use plugins that are very useful, if not necessary, for making good scenes. Statemachine is especially useful.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, only favorited morphs will show up when you try to add them to the trigger action, at least for that plugin. You check the favorite box next to the morphs, save the scene, and I think you will probably have to exit vam and restart the scene, then they will be searchable in geometry.

Don't be too intimidated by logicbricks, they are just a bunch of really useful and mostly easy to use plugins that are very useful, if not necessary, for making good scenes. Statemachine is especially useful.
So I've learned a lot over the past few days, and saved a ton of time by manipulating a scene that was already designed similarly. However, I've run into a confusing problem, and maybe this is why you had mentioned keeping some things separate:

I noticed that I was often seeing the same shaped mouths, noses, eyes, etc - and this makes sense because I was just using the built-in shape morphs as a test for what I want it to do. The issue I've run into is that when the plugin triggers, it chooses a random value, but seems to hover EVERY other slider near the same value, resulting in a lot of similar looks over and over.

Are you familiar with a way to tell the randomvalue plugin to avoid doing this? You can get way more natural looks when it isn't taking every value and making them virtually the same.

As an example, here's one button press affecting the mouth shape morph I mentioned:
1720460976480.png

And then a second press:

1720460998828.png

They all randomly move, but they're still moving to the same general areas, which sort of defeats the randomness of it all. I'd like to see them all be at their own random positions / values, because it would generate far more unique shapes / looks (and maybe even some extremes, which i can sort out later). I want to see some at a negative value, some at an extreme, etc, but they seem to all want to move in the same way with each trigger.

Is the only answer to this to separate them so that they're changed individually? Each of them have their own adjusted min/max values within the plugin settings, so I have a feeling the only differences that are happening are because it's changing them all at once to a random percentage of the total range instead of looking at each morph and picking a different value for each of them.

If I understand you correctly, it is what I mentioned in my initial explanation - you must have a separate plugin for EACH morph. Yes, you will have a character with about 50+ plugins, but you can label each plugin so you will know what everything is. Otherwise, yes, they will all move in unison and not be very random at all. The good news is that once you have done all the work creating your randomizer scene, you can use it as a default scene to build around, or merge load other scenes into it so you don't have to do it each time.

I think i understand now - I want to make a single button for mouth / eyes / whatever, and have it adjust 10 seperate morphs, each on their own randomizer, as opposed to one randomizer with ten morphs?

I was pretty ready to make 100+ buttons, lol this sounds far better

This is something I wanted as well, so I made this scene;
There is also a menu that you can use to pause and tweak the looks. Maybe It has something you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom