Fixed (1.20.77.4) Controllers in locked mode

gamechanger4r

Reactions
I have an issue with controllers in "locked" mode. While they are being moved, they seem to behave as if they were in normal mode, that is, the character mesh does not follow the controller closely; it is not locked. Then, when the control is released, it goes back to locked mode, making the character instantly move by a large displacement. This makes it really hard to work with the locked controllers, because you can't slightly move them without producing a large displacement of the mesh (the mesh goes to the "unlocked" state, and back to the "locked" one). Besides, you can't visualize the difference the displaced controller will produce while moving the controller, as is normal in the other modes. This seems like a bug, but I have never seen it addressed.

When moving a locked node, you should first change it to "On" state and after setting it's new position switch back to locked state. Note that the locked state shall not produce the same position as the "on" state, because other neighbore nodes also have influence of the actual position through their physics binding.

E.g. if you want to move a locked feet to a new position, first set it's controller to "on" and the one of the knee to "off", than move the feet to the desired position and lock it. Then set the knee controller to "on" and move it also to the desired position (within limits due to the feet being locked).

I don`t want to switch it to on! I want to move it, while it is locked! This is VERY important for animation. But, as soon as I select it, it starts behaving like "on".

Ok, now I understand. Maybe Meshed can comment on this, but I fear he would see your desired behavior as feature and current behavior not as bug. So this thread will end in the VaM Suggestions cemetery like my "bug reports" regarding the missing fine control buttons on some of the sliders (e.g. gravity). 😞

I really don't know if this is intended behaviour. It looks very weird! When you move a locked controller, the character makes very abrupt changes. I used to get a lot of explosions because of this.

Locked is basically the same as On except it users much higher forces. When you grab a node, it changes temporarily to Parent Link to link it to what you are controlling it with. Parent Link uses the same forces as "On" state, so this can cause the jump due to difference in the power used to hold the node. While I don't really consider this a bug, I can see why it would be annoying. I'm looking at seeing if it can preserve the lock strength when you grab if the node was in the lock state going into the grab.

I was able to make this fix pretty quickly so it will be included in next release.

Back
Top Bottom