Question Why VAM physics is screen resolution dependent?

L_WOOD

Reactions
How come soft physics time is dependent on rendering resolution, are the physics calculated per pixel? This is kind of strange for me, I do non-realtime physics sims sometime and they are calculated before the actual render and usually have their own resolution/ accuracy setting. But in VAM the physics go up almost as much as pixel count and there is a serious increase between 1080, 4K and VR (like the Baseline 3 benchmark shows).

Presuming the GPU is doing the physics work, hence the slowdown as the resolution goes up? I know vr is especially demanding so i would expect a wopping decrease in performance here.

Upvote 0
It is likely because VaM is now doing 2 or even 3 physics updates for each rendered frame instead of 1. Physics runs at a fixed rate (which you can set to some degree on the User Preferences Performance tab). If you are limited to 30FPS due to higher rendering resolution and your physics rate is set to 60FPS, there will be 2 physics updates for each rendered frame and the accumulated physics time is counting both physics frames. You might notice it bounces around. That may be because some frames only have 1 physics update and others have 2.

You can try the following and you should get more consistent physics times. Set the Physics Update Cap setting in User Preferences to 1. This limits physics updates to 1 per rendered frame. If you can't maintain an FPS that hits the physics rate, then your scene will appear to slow down time which is why this setting is not set to 1 by default. But the physics time should now be consistent and not matter what the resolution is.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom