Skyboxes in Unity

void

Reactions
I accidentally deleted my Skybox template in Unity and I totally forgot how to create skyboxes. So I desperately look for the tutorial that "opened my eyes" half a year ago. While I found several "how to"s in Blender (with creating a half sphere etc) I remembered I was on that wrong path before and found an easier way in Unity with on board tools. Like "create Skybox" and add the pic to it and done. Current tutorials for Unity are for the new versions and far overdone with console commands etc.

I need someone to point me to the correct path, it wasn't more than pushing a few buttons in Unity and done.

of course... of course once I post it I remember... so that's how it's done for others to learn:

1.) Create an empty Sphere ("Game Object" -> "3D Object" -> "Sphere"), then pump it up to lets say 150m x 150m x 150m and set it to X,Y,Z = 0,0,0.
2.) Drag your 3D / Skybox picture onto the sphere. Check the Inspector tab / window and look for the Materials section, just where you see your imported pic on the shader sphere.
3.) Set the shader from "Standard" to "Skybox -> Panoramic"
4.) perhaps in the same tab tag "Double Sided Global Illumination" - not sure about that.
5.) perhaps even delete the standard "Skybox Collider", otherwise you have to disable collision in VAM.

That's it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom