Setting the scene discussion

booyakshaka

Reactions
Hi all, I'm plodding (very slowly) through my first scene, I was having some thoughts about how to set the scene in the players mind before any actual action started, and a) I'd like a little help, and b) I thought it might be a useful discussion point for people to chat about ideas etc.

I'll explain my idea first, and what I need help with, but please do feel to also throw out your own ideas for story-telling and scene-setting!

So my idea was to open the scene with some static images, these would of course be observable in desktop or VR mode, and what I would like is for the player to click the picture (or a button) that moves the story on a little. I was thinking maybe half a dozen or so images with text. Example below. (btw I do like feminine males, but I won't be showing anything explicit here as I know it's not to everyone's taste)

So my first question would be: How do I make it so a player can click the picture to change the image, or have a button they can click for the next image to load in?

That aside, I really am interested in any other ideas to give the actual 'action' parts some context, so please do throw them in!

setting the scene.png

Last edited:
Hey,

I don't know if it is possible to create a 'clickable' picture...
But if you want to have a button that change a loaded image, you can use a 'UIbutton' with a trigger that changes the URL of an image (see picture below).
It however needs one UIButton by image but it is not a big deal (you can set the UI button to hide itself on clicking it and to show another one that will be linked with the next image).

1610481913584.png

For a "clickable image", I think you do exactly what Gegecucu said, but you make the button the same size as the image (or set to whatever size you want to be able to click). Then you move it so that it's layered on top of the image, and lower the alpha so that it's invisible. The button trigger should change the image, turn on the next button, and turn itself off. You can even link the image and button(s) together so that you can move them around as a single object.

Depending of what you want, you could make the button turn off the linked image and turn on a different image and button, in case you want the next image to appear in a different place. Or maybe you want multiple images to appear and hide them all at the end. The possibilities are endless.

Pretty sure people would appreciate a skip story button too, for when they want to play it again. ;)

Back
Top Bottom