SELF:/ vs module_name:/

amaimon

Reactions
Not a bug I guess, but a question: I see a lot of references to files starting with "SELF:/" - is it equal to "package_where_the_file_is_referenced:/", or is "SELF:/" required in some cases?

SELF:/ is for packaged files and are created automatically upon packaging. It allows versioned package files to reference other files in that same version of the package. If you see them in your local files, it is because you unpacked the VAR file or otherwise extracted a file from a VAR and used it locally. Those local files would have to be manually fixed as SELF:/ doesn't really have any meaning in a file that is not from a var package

Yeah, I know all that, but is

'self:/some_file' located in package some_package.var
equal to:
'some_package.XX:/some_file'

- as this seems to be more common package reference path? If I rename "self:/" reference to "this_package_name.XX:/"-style reference will it still work as expected?

Last edited:
Yes they are the same. I wouldn't mess with any references unless you have a good reason to. VaM handles creating and storing references and fixing references on packaging so users don't have to worry about that part.

Weeeell... I run my script on all VARs that I have. Inside there are HUNDREDS of references with paths like "/saves" and "/custom" that point to files that don't exist in the package and anywhere on the filesystem. So something must be wrong with VAR reference resolver...

Can you give a specific example? It could just be the author ignoring the warnings. The warnings don't prevent you from creating the package.

WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lisa_Weird_Science.1.var"; "id"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Hair\Female\Miki\Emo hair\Emo Bangs.vam (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lisa_Weird_Science.1.var"; "id"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Hair\Female\Miki\Emo hair\Emo Clean.vam (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "faceDiffuseUrl"; "Depends on loose file Saves\scene\bamair1984 discord\Ranny\faceD.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "torsoDiffuseUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Textures\BooMoon\Karol\torsoD.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "limbsDiffuseUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Textures\BooMoon\Karol\limbsD.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "faceSpecularUrl"; "Depends on loose file Saves\scene\aracon discord\Angel Taby\faceS.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "torsoSpecularUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Atom\Person\Textures\Blazedust_D01\torsoS.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "limbsSpecularUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Atom\Person\Textures\Blazedust_D01\limbsS.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "faceNormalUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Atom\Person\Textures\Blazedust_D01\faceN.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "torsoNormalUrl"; "Depends on loose file Saves\scene\aracon discord\Free_Yvonne\TorsoN.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "limbsNormalUrl"; "Depends on loose file Saves\scene\aracon discord\Ines\limbsN.jpg (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Lover.1.var"; "assetUrl"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Assets\colorcorrect.assetbundle (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Nata.1.var"; "id"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Hair\Female\NoStage3\Top Bun.vam (present)"
WARN; "CosmicFTW.Look_Nata.1.var"; "id"; "Depends on loose file Custom\Hair\Female\NoStage3\Long Upswept.vam (present)"

Those are because user ignored reference warnings on creation.

There is a new key/value pair in meta.json (starting in 1.20.77 releases) that indicates if the var package had reference issues during creation:

"hadReferenceIssues" : "false",

We may at some future point use this entry to screen var files from the Hub browser since they would cause errors on load due to missing content.

Back
Top Bottom