PictureToSkybox

Plugins PictureToSkybox

PluginIdea

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
PluginIdea submitted a new resource:

PictureToSkybox - Take Panorama as Skybox Realtime.

At the suggestion of some supporters, this simple plug-in was written.I hope it can help a little.

Support some additional features:
-Exposure adjustment.
-Dynamic rotation.
-3d format support, etc.

How to use:

Prepare panorama-> add empty atom-> mount plug-in-> load panorama.

Read more about this resource...

To answer my own question, I can take an HDRI like I use in Daz, convert it to jpg using IrfanView, then it does work with this plugin. Tons of free HDRIs available.

Suggestions:
Add a slider for Contrast or Saturation to go with the brightness.
Is it possible to add a scale factor for the skybox, or do skyboxes not work that way?
Move the menu items at the bottom up, because the choices get occluded by the main UI.

Last edited:
Skybox made in Nvidia canvas

1694548878.jpg1694548882.jpg

An option to reduce the size would be nice

Amazing work.
Really simpliffy things a lot.

I have a question (request?):
The fact that there is no character/props shadows on hdri make things flat and unrealistic.
Obviously, these is how hdri's work, and there is nothing to do with it.
But, I had the idea to create unity asset, slate that is invisible, but at the same time catch and render shadows.
Unfortunately, my unity skills are minimal. I was able to create shader/material that was working that way in unity 2018, but, exported to VaM it doesn't work for some reason.
Maybe it still possible to achieve?

Amazing work.
Really simpliffy things a lot.

I have a question (request?):
The fact that there is no character/props shadows on hdri make things flat and unrealistic.
Obviously, these is how hdri's work, and there is nothing to do with it.
But, I had the idea to create unity asset, slate that is invisible, but at the same time catch and render shadows.
Unfortunately, my unity skills are minimal. I was able to create shader/material that was working that way in unity 2018, but, exported to VaM it doesn't work for some reason.
Maybe it still possible to achieve?
Images imported using this plugin aren't really acting as HDRIs. They're not a light source. It's just a world ball, an image that surrounds everything. What you're describing is what's called a Shadowcatcher in the Daz world. Daz has the ground shadow built in now, even with an HDRI for lighting. It might be possible to do that in Vam. The thing about Vam is, you're usually not just rendering a static image or animation from one POV. As soon as the view changes, the relationship between characters and the world ball can be broken. You could also use a ground plane prop to catch the shadows. There are some on the hub.

Tried to achieve a similar effect like this plugin, without any extra asset bundle. That means no own skybox mesh and no own shader.
The ideas was to simply swap out the VaM skybox texture only.
Maybe this is doable. But I could not figure it out. If that would work I assume this would affect light too ... because of the shader.

Things I found out:
  • VaM uses "Skyshop: Image-Based Lighting Tools & Shaders" by Marmoset. A no longer available Unity Asset Bundle to handle all Skybox related stuff and that I guess does act as a light source too. (I did not really dig deep into the light parts)
  • The shader used is "Marmoset/Skydome IBL" and has a cubemap property:
    _SkyCubeIBL ("Custom Sky Cube", Cube) = "white" {} You can check in code that this property does in fact exist, but you cannot get or set texture. It's not a texture type.
  • The skybox PNG images included in the Asset Bundle as examples are used by VaM too. Aspect ratio 2:1, panoramic 360° and HDR(I).
  • The orignal VaM skybox texture uses SkyboxCube.dimension = UnityEngine.Rendering.TextureDimension.Cube. That I could not figure out how to set at runtime. It's read only.
I got my hands on that asset bundle if anyone wants to give this a try. Best results I could achieve is loading in another textures on the skybox by swapping to another shader ... with the IBL-shader the best I got was a black box because I could not pass it as cubemap properly. It seems impossible to create a Texture with a Cube-Dimension at runtime ... difficult to explain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom