• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Patreon vs Gumroad or others

Slaanesh

Reactions
It seems that nearly all of the paid content I've come across on Hub has been gate with Patreon support. I've seen a few that use other sources but they are few and far between and largely not on Hub. Is there some general hub preference for this? I like the idea of paying for what I want and also not letting people pay for one month and then get all previous content. Blocking past content also seems a bit off unless people can earn the right to it by continuous support. Does Patreon even support that?

• Patreon makes sense because every user of VaM already got an account there and payment setup.
  • Patreon has this "Pay per creation" option. You might want to check it out, but I think it doesn't do what you want. Also it is just super weird and confusing for users.
  • Potentially you could put content into tiers? Not sure if that makes sense. Like having a "January" tier that gets you anything made in January. Next month you add another tier "February" and so on. Since you don't wants a million tiers, of course at some point you will have to edit old posts and put them into an "Old Content" tier.
  • For myself I'm rather happy with my EarlyAccess model. You might want to consider it. People subscribe to get content 2 weeks earlier plus maybe some little bit of behind the scenes info. I don't even have Tiers at all, so I'm on the "Patreon Lite" plan which is cheaper. People just pay what they think it is worth to them and it makes enough money for me. Of course people can grab all my content for a month for just 1 Canadian dollar (which is just 0.64€ currently)....but enough people simply pay 5$ or 5€ that it does not matter. And well, it's free after 2 weeks....so those people would not have paid at all otherwise.

There are quite a few patreons who spend a lot of time creating quality, they deserve one's support (yes money). But there are also a lot of accounts created which are not worth a flat penny !. And where it's obvious the only reason they've set up a Patreon account is to make money, without the slightest artistic value.

The reason I'm shying away from Patreon is that I am unsure the rate at which I can do releases. I'm almost to the point where I can get the animations I want reliably and in a reasonable amount of time. Think I'll get a few free releases under my belt to make sure I can stick with it. Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I'm shying away from Patreon is that I am unsure the rate at which I can do releases. I'm almost to the point where I can get the animations I want reliably and in a reasonable amount of time. Think I'll get a few free releases under my belt to make sure I can stick with it. Thanks for the feedback.
I would make sure to create a smaller back catalog before opening a patreon account, avoid publishing deadline stress . Whether you start giving it for free and later demand something does not matter if you create quality that users demand. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom