Question Need help figuring out performance bottleneck

ipjmtk

Reactions
Hi,

It seems like my VaM struggles real hard when loading/switching scenes. My FPS is ok when playing, but as soon as I try to open a new scene, or try to pick an appearance item, the whole program freezes for a couple seconds. I'm monitoring my hardware: when it freezes, I don't see any apparent bottleneck. The CPU is at around 20%. GPU 0%. Ram at 20%. So it seems strange that the program would freeze.

My question is, is there any way I can figure out what's going on? Thanks.

Totally normal. The more scenes you have in your directory, the longer it will take to open the screen. Or what exactly is it you wanna know? What do you mean by "freezing"? Was is better some time ago?
The more stuff you have in your addonpackage/scenes/appearance folder, the more time it will take to operate within VaM.

Upvote 0
Totally normal. The more scenes you have in your directory, the longer it will take to open the screen. Or what exactly is it you wanna know? What do you mean by "freezing"? Was is better some time ago?
The more stuff you have in your addonpackage/scenes/appearance folder, the more time it will take to operate within VaM.

By "freezing" I mean the UI does not respond to clicks and the screen is non-responsive for a few seconds.

You are right, I think it was better when my addon folder was smaller. I guess I was hoping for some trick to make it faster, since my PC does not seem to be running at full throttle when it happens.

Upvote 0
Be aware that " The CPU is at around 20%" is rather deceptive. That 20% is likely the average of all core usage. So you may have one core operating at 100%, causing the bottleneck, and your other cores hardly doing anything, averaging out to 20% usage.
In this case, yeah, it's perpobably the large number of vars causing the slow down. But to troubleshoot performance, you need a utility that reports on each core, not just a single "cpu usage" figure.

Upvote 0
Windows Task Manager has a Performance screen that gives more detail. You can Alt-Tab to get to it if you start it before starting Vam. I suspect you're IO bound, which means all the data being loaded from disk or SSD. Those are still the slowest parts of the system, other than the user...

Upvote 0
Be aware that " The CPU is at around 20%" is rather deceptive. That 20% is likely the average of all core usage. So you may have one core operating at 100%, causing the bottleneck, and your other cores hardly doing anything, averaging out to 20% usage.
In this case, yeah, it's perpobably the large number of vars causing the slow down. But to troubleshoot performance, you need a utility that reports on each core, not just a single "cpu usage" figure.

I agree, and I should've been more clear. I did not see any core being used at 100%. The most I saw was around 50%. The average was about 20% for all cores.

What would you recommend for troubleshooting? I plan on getting some disk I/O data next.

Upvote 0
Windows Task Manager has a Performance screen that gives more detail. You can Alt-Tab to get to it if you start it before starting Vam. I suspect you're IO bound, which means all the data being loaded from disk or SSD. Those are still the slowest parts of the system, other than the user...

Thanks. I'll try getting some disk data next. I'm also thinking of reducing the size of AddonPackage, which does not seem easy to do...

Upvote 0
Hi,

It seems like my VaM struggles real hard when loading/switching scenes. My FPS is ok when playing, but as soon as I try to open a new scene, or try to pick an appearance item, the whole program freezes for a couple seconds. I'm monitoring my hardware: when it freezes, I don't see any apparent bottleneck. The CPU is at around 20%. GPU 0%. Ram at 20%. So it seems strange that the program would freeze.

My question is, is there any way I can figure out what's going on? Thanks.

This is normal. The only problem is that VaM doesn't have a proper loading screen. What you see is what happen, behind the scenes, in every game.

If that bothers you, remember that you can always close your eyes! ;)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom