• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Moved VAM to C drive. FPS lower.

Aminator

Reactions
I wanted to see if I could get better performance moving VAM. Its on my data drive and my C drive is an SSD.
It seems to load faster but I noticed the fps was around 30 in the scene I loaded. I loaded it off the B drive and it was 50-60.
I probably didn't do it very smart but it was just a test.
I just copied and pasted all the files in the main directory to C and then any big folders I made symbolic links. The linked folders are:

Vam_Data
Assets
AddonPackages
Games
Cash
Custom
Saves

Is it the Cache folder causing this? Unfortunately I only have 30-40 gb free on C and this folder gets to 60 GB at times.
Can I put a real cache folder on C and only use that installation when I'm testing in VR?

What are you asking, if VAM on a SSD is faster than on a HDD when starting and/or loading a scene?
The SSD will be the faster option when starting VAM, loading a scene as well. For the latter the difference may not be meaningful enough.

Regarding FPS, based on my limited understanding this has little to do with your disk, and you don't share your comparison methodology to take those values as useful data.

Last edited:
Is it the Cache folder causing this? Unfortunately I only have 30-40 gb free on C and this folder gets to 60 GB at times.
Can I put a real cache folder on C and only use that installation when I'm testing in VR?

Keep vam on your SSD for faster load times. But you can leave the cache on your data drive without losing any significant performance. You can set the cache location in user preferences.

None of this will affect FPS. Only start and load times.

Back
Top Bottom