Medusa Look, Animated Snake Head Dress and Environment (VR Version)

Scenes Medusa Look, Animated Snake Head Dress and Environment (VR Version)

Origin69

Reactions
Origin69 submitted a new resource:

Medusa Look, Animated Snake Head Dress and Environment (VR Version) - VR Version

This is the VR version, Desktop uses should download my Desktop version instead to avoid duplication.

I designed a separate scene for both VR and desktop, as the VR version has a hidden collision trigger to start the animation, and the animation plays on different objects in each.

Designed as seated VR experience to move in the scene with controllers. The animation won't line up if you move your head too much or walk around.

This is my take on the Greek mythical character Medusa...

Read more about this resource...

This looks very interesting, will have to check it soon 😮

By the way, why didn't you add both Desktop and VR scenes in the same VAR and/or resource?

This looks very interesting, will have to check it soon 😮

By the way, why didn't you add both Desktop and VR scenes in the same VAR and/or resource?
That was a mistake on my part, I'm still learning. I made the desktop animation and vr animation on two different save files, but I packed the desktop VAR first. I was expecting to drop the desktop version, and upload the VR version later with reference to the desktop VAR files. I loaded the wrong save when I did the animations and tweaked the sound and lighting for VR, all that work and it was still referencing my local files, so I packed the VAR separately.
I realize now that this was a mistake. When I made the futa version I only included the new textures clothes and save file as I built it from the VR version VAR. As the VARs have different names I'm not sure what the best coarse of action is. I don't know if I could update the desktop VAR to only include the save and have the VR version as a dependency. Would updating like that mean that people who downloaded both wouldn't have a duplication of the morphs and textures after they update it, but still be able to reference the original if they are creating content from it?
Be assured that all future updates will be a single scene save, only include new content and only reference the VR version VAR.

You can have more than one scene in the VAR, one for Desktop and the other for VR if you wish, that is totally ok to do. One VAR is prefered, you can get both options in it with no duplication of textures and stuff. Currently that's what you have with the separate VARs. If you still prefer separate VARs, also ok, you could just have both files in a single Hub resource. Then all comments, reviews, Likes, all are in that one resource.
You can also opt for separate VARs in a different way, one for the scenes and another for all the rest, being the latter a dependency of the scenes VAR. There's plenty of options you can go for.

Nice to know. I'll be more careful with how I pack them going forward. Would creating an update for the Desktop version how I said fix the duplication issues though? does it overwrite the old VAR that people downloaded?

I'm not sure as it depends on how you set the folders with content on both versions.
Quickly looking at your resources I think you could organise them a little better than they are now. An example:
  • Medusa Sleeps VR (Futa Version)
  • Medusa Look, Animated Snake Head Dress and Environment (VR and Desktop)
You could share the Medusa Futa as a look, add a apperance preset to the package. Better yet, presets for a female Medusa and a Futa Medusa into a single VAR. This VAR would then be used as a dependency for your Medusa scenes. it would also make it easier for people to use your Medusa in other scenes and make it far more popular. I didn't check how the texture and morphs are like, try to reuse textures when you can.

The VR and desktop scenes can be made into 1 VAR with multiple scenes. You can even make a intro scene to ask the player if they want the VR or Desktop scene, and in the scenes a button if they want a female or Futa Medusa. Just some ideas.
The scenes would have as a dependency your Looks VAR. This separation means people who don't want the scene can have Medusa still, and if you need to make changes to one of those VARs you can do it more easily. You can also use a better name for the Hub resource.

Even if you make a breaking change to the existing resources it's ok I think, as long as the changes are worth it. I think they would be.

My passion for this is the creation. I was making changes to the skin and headdress as i went, and creating new textures and clothing as the scene evolved and ideas came to me. The skin changes, snake bump morphs, statue armour and animated water ideas all came during making the scene. I need the scene to generate the creativity. I wish packing the vars was simpler. I don't want to feel like i need to start over when i get an idea. For this scene I made two looks, five new items of clothing, fifteen unique textures. I learned sculpting, retopology and multy uv layout tuxture baking. All for free. And the confussion packing the vars is what gets me depressed at the last hurdle.

Just a little more experience with packing and soon enough they will become easy and really helpful. If you make the look separate from the scene it will allow you to customise them more easily and independently of one another. Think of it as modules, a little more work in the planning but then you have more combinations and flexibility with your creations, making and assembling them.
Imagine you want a brown, green, and blue skinned Medusa, that's just a few more textures in the Medusa look VAR, version 2, and now your Medusa Scene VAR can use 3 different skinned Medusas at will without the scene needing a new version too.
An example of modularity with Damarmau, as he reuses his morphs often in different combinations for his models, he packs them separately because in the long run it's better for his models and others can also use the morphs dependency for their own creations instead of having to pull in a several looks for just a couple of morphs. Not saying you need this too, just an example of modularity that makes new content easier to make and manage in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice atani. I'm only planning one more scene for Medusa, so I'll reference the VR for that and leave it as is for now, rather than pick it apart and confuse people with updates while there is nothing new to add. I'll bear it all in mind for future projects.

Back
Top Bottom