• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question How to use Vive Controllers?

rernat

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
rernat
Hi, today I got an HTC Vive Pro. I'm going crazy as I totally struggle Navigation with the Vive Controllers in VAM.
I was using WMR Controllers til today and besides the lag in tracking they seemed prefect tom my to navigat. I just had to move the 2 Thumpsticks to move anywhere in the VR world.
But now with the Vive controllers I cant move anywhere. The teleport function works not really. Sometiomes the teleport cursor apperas, sometimes not. And to use free navigation with the trackpads (in a similar way i did it with the WMR controllers thump sticks) I have to open the menu-> navigation and select free move.

Isn't there a better solution?

HELP please!

I totally angry about this controlling problem atm.

If the Vive Pro controllers are the same as standard Vive controllers, then:
  • To my knowledge there is no thumbstick style navigation
  • To teleport, rest your thumb on the upper part of the trackpad until you see the blue line appear. Click the trackpad in to teleport to the location shown.
  • Click and hold down the bottom part of the track pad to drag the world around.
    • This is what I use most often

Upvote 0
If the Vive Pro controllers are the same as standard Vive controllers, then:
To my knowledge there is no thumbstick style navigation

So really only by "Navigation"->Free Move

So I will set a shortcut for this.

To teleport, rest your thumb on the upper part of the trackpad until you see the blue line appear. Click the trackpad in to teleport to the location shown.

This works for some reason really unreliable.

1. Click and hold down the bottom part of the track pad to drag the world around.
  2. This is what I use most often

Yeah this works but way more uncomfortable than moving with thumbsticks in free move. For example I'm unable to move while dragging an atom simultaniously.
Hmm dissatisfying...

Upvote 0
You can teleport while holding an atom, if that helps.

Slowly I arrange with the controls. But the movement by thumbstick I will miss. :(
Was great to record videos of scenes while moving around smoothly.

Yet I have another problem. While pressing and holding the grab trigger ( to make a hand with stretched indexfinger), there appears a steam loading symbol and after it finished a loading animation "visible Hands/controllers" switches on or off respectively.
Seems that steam laid a function over "holding grab trigger". But how to change this or turn itz off?

Sometimes you just need the indexfinger you know. :D

Upvote 0
I don't have Vive controllers, so I can't speak to this issue well, but anything that is mapped to "Free Move" navigation mode can also be mapped to regular navigation outside of that mode. I just don't know if there's something else important that's mapped to those controls.

Please see my controller binding guide for reference. The important bit to know is that the action Free Mode Move works only in "Free Move" mode, while the action Free Move works while NOT in that mode. So it may work if you just add or change that in your Trackpad / Position binding.

For your other issue, you can remove the action Toggle Hand from the Trigger / Long binding.

Not sure about the Steam loading animation. I've only seen that as a control for opening the Steam overlay. If that's the case, then it might be found in the SteamVR bindings for "VR Compositor". Or maybe it just shows that for any long click.

Upvote 0
Hi Rernat, did you get the teleport working in the end?. I have exactly the same issues you described with the teleport working very randomly, sometimes appears sometimes not, then when i do move its not where i want to go as im clicking away to try and get it to appear. It almost seems too sensitive. I have a Cosmos Elite with same controllers i believe.

Im relatively new to Vr and before i try (with thanks to) WrongTamaogs guide to bindings which i dont understand much yet (worried i may make things worse).

I dont get on with the free move as it clashes with the select toggle, but do use the drag world round like Reanimator suggests with some success and seems to be the only way i can navigate around. Again it seems a little hit and miss by not always activating.

It feels like a fundamental hurdle at the beginning which i would like to fix as im trying to learn how to use VAM.

Upvote 0
Hi Rernat, did you get the teleport working in the end?. I have exactly the same issues you described with the teleport working very randomly, sometimes appears sometimes not, then when i do move its not where i want to go as im clicking away to try and get it to appear. It almost seems too sensitive. I have a Cosmos Elite with same controllers i believe.

Im relatively new to Vr and before i try (with thanks to) WrongTamaogs guide to bindings which i dont understand much yet (worried i may make things worse).

I dont get on with the free move as it clashes with the select toggle, but do use the drag world round like Reanimator suggests with some success and seems to be the only way i can navigate around. Again it seems a little hit and miss by not always activating.

It feels like a fundamental hurdle at the beginning which i would like to fix as im trying to learn how to use VAM.
Hi, no I still have the same problems. Teleport I use therefore almost never. I just grab the world to move.

But the missing thumbsticks at the vive controlers is the only disadvantage for me of this headset so far. And meanwhile I'm comfortable with movement by dragging in VAM.

Upvote 0
Anoying isnt it. I have noticed one thing, when the in vr and you see the controllers, on mine, when i move my thumb over the disk, when i move north, the pressure dot doesnt reach the top of the disk and when i thumb south it goes off the bottom of the disk, so mine might need calibrating or something and could be a reason the teleport doesnt engage every time, maybe. If i get any joy ill let you know.
Id imagine joysticks would be better than the disks. Im getting use to the drag now with the mulipliers turned up.

Upvote 0
So... just picked up a VIVE Cosmo, and having the same issues you guys are - but I'm picking it up pretty fast.

You've got to rest your finger at EXACTLY the 12 OClock position on the trackpad for a moment to get the Teleport to pop up - if you're at 11:45 or 12:15 it isn't going to work. Then once you get the blue arc, press and HOLD at 12 o-clock, now you can move the target destination around. Let go and you'll teleport there. I now use a combination of dragging and teleporting pretty reliably - but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

To grab ...click the TRIGGER button at a grab-point.... while holding the trigger, click and release the squeeze trigger (triggers on the side of the controller) and then when you release the trigger, you'll have a persistent grab of the item you picked up.

Still learning the ropes here - but this guy's videos helped.

And these are also helpful:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom