Question Hiding "unresolved" dependencies in the package manager/error log?

breedingseason

Reactions
I'm sure we're all aware of the rabbit hole that is dependencies and I've personally all but given up on trying to establish a semblance of structure.
Manually editing jsons and extracting morphs/textures is just too time consuming and not worth the effort to get rid of false positives.

So basically I'm wondering if it's possible to simply hide those pesky errors that show up in the error log as well as within the package manager, be it a plugin or tool or whatever. Think Enable/Disable package except I still want to be able to access the contents of the scene. I don't suppose just deleting the meta.json is a very good idea?

Case example being I know I want a look/scene or whatever, and obviously some dependencies are almost always going to be needed unless it's all self-contained.
Perfectly acceptable.

The problem arises when one of those prior dependencies have dependencies on their own... and so on. Now there's a bunch of vars begging to be resolved, clogging up the manager and log despite the fact that the initial look/scene, most of the times the only one I actually wanted, already has all the required dependencies (and even so it still shows up as having missing dependencies because the dependencies of said dependency didn't have all of its own dependencies resolved...).

I think many would feel some peace of mind if we could just manually mark a package as solved, effectively hiding it from the missing dependencies tab.

You can delete the dependencies list in the meta.json file inside the VAR, if you want to take that route, no need to remove the entire file.
There's some programs in "Others" to tackle this in different ways, but I never used them, can't say if they work well or not. I decided on the manual approach.

Upvote 0
I'm sure we're all aware of the rabbit hole that is dependencies and I've personally all but given up on trying to establish a semblance of structure.
Manually editing jsons and extracting morphs/textures is just too time consuming and not worth the effort to get rid of false positives.

So basically I'm wondering if it's possible to simply hide those pesky errors that show up in the error log as well as within the package manager, be it a plugin or tool or whatever. Think Enable/Disable package except I still want to be able to access the contents of the scene. I don't suppose just deleting the meta.json is a very good idea?

Case example being I know I want a look/scene or whatever, and obviously some dependencies are almost always going to be needed unless it's all self-contained.
Perfectly acceptable.

The problem arises when one of those prior dependencies have dependencies on their own... and so on. Now there's a bunch of vars begging to be resolved, clogging up the manager and log despite the fact that the initial look/scene, most of the times the only one I actually wanted, already has all the required dependencies (and even so it still shows up as having missing dependencies because the dependencies of said dependency didn't have all of its own dependencies resolved...).

I think many would feel some peace of mind if we could just manually mark a package as solved, effectively hiding it from the missing dependencies tab.

I recently discovered that we can do that in the User Prefs tab (last option):

1686477430397.png

Upvote 0
Yes, it is in the latest version. I had been asking for this a while, others must have been too. At first, it didn't work right, so there was a patch to the patch. :)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom