Filters for indirect references and Hub-hosted resources

Algorithm1248

Reactions
I've noticed several packages that make use of indirect references, i.e. loading a resource for the sole purpose of using that resource's dependencies. In most of these cases, I believe these indirect references are accidental, since the direct resource and the indirect reference both show up when selecting hair, skin, etc., and it's not immediately obvious which is the direct one. A filter would be very useful here, as well as some kind of warning in the package builder when indirect references exist.

Similarly, I'd like to see a filter for Hub-Hosted resources, as these resources are much easier for the user to obtain, and it's again not obvious when selecting a resource if it's hub-hosted. This would require the existence of an index file that VaM could download from the hub, but I believe the benefits of this filter would be worth the internal complexity.

Edit to add: Filtering out non-Hub resources and/or providing a warning in the package builder would also help prevent packages from requiring paid resources, which I've found particularly frustrating in some paid works (one has to pay to download the package, then pay someone else to stop package errors).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom