Eliminate duplicates properly?

SelchidhVR

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
selchidh
The amount of duplicate morphs I've accumulated over the last year (in some cases, I have 10+ of each morph) is becoming absurd. I want to delete duplicates to improve load times and the user experience, but I'd like to avoid breaking too many references.

What is the best way to deal with the large number of duplicates?

Sorry for reviving this thread, but it's getting ridiculous for me. I have so many duplicates that they sometimes stretch over two pages. The morphology tool only works, if the morphs are in the original morphs folder and does not work with vars or unpacked vars for that matter.

Here is what I have done recently.

Go to Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs. Make a backup copy of the Female folder first somewhere safe. Also make a copy of the Favorites folder (which is inside the Female folder) somewhere else as that is your list of favorites. Then go up one directory and select the Female folder, from Windows (assuming you are using Windows and not MacOS), do a Search of the Female folder for *.* This will search for all files within the folder and any sub folders within Female. From the results of the search, select all the files it found (control A). Do a copy of all the files it found (control C). Create a new folder somewhere else, call it Female. Do a paste (control V). It will start pasting all the files. Windows will automatically ask you what to do with the duplicates. Just pick dont copy for all the duplicates. Basically what you are doing is copying all the files out of here, and only one copy of each. Once you are done, go back to Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs and delete the Female folder. Then put a copy of the Favorites folder you backed up into your new Female folder. Then put this new Female folder into the original Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs. Repeat the process for the Female_genitalia or the male folders if you want.

Kind of a pain in the ass, but it's a way to get rid of duplicates.

Downside to that method is that you will break certain scenes. VARs should be safe...? But anything in your /Saves area could be affected. Scene JSONs point to the specific Windows path to the morph files. So you could have 5 different dupes of "Clown Feet", but they are all in different locations, and depending on which one was selected for a scene, you might break the reference.

Honestly, dupes are so bad for me as well, that I'll probably just do this anyway, and manually fix scenes I still use.

Downside to that method is that you will break certain scenes. VARs should be safe...? But anything in your /Saves area could be affected. Scene JSONs point to the specific Windows path to the morph files. So you could have 5 different dupes of "Clown Feet", but they are all in different locations, and depending on which one was selected for a scene, you might break the reference.

Honestly, dupes are so bad for me as well, that I'll probably just do this anyway, and manually fix scenes I still use.
Are you sure the specific path is required? I thought that Vam just needs to see the files within Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs\Female and after that they can reside in any sub directory they want? I may be wrong on this, guess one way would be to test it. Anyways, I am with you, all these morph duplicates are a serious pain in the ass. This is one area that the developers need to improve. The VAR system was supposed to fix it but i have tons of duplicate hair styles all residing in VARs.

Back
Top Bottom