Dust 101 v1

Assets Dust 101 v1

hazmhox

Featured Contributor
Reactions
hazmhox submitted a new resource:

Dust 101 v1 - A set of particles dedicated to create dust like visual effects

A set of particles dedicated to create dust like visual effects with CUA ( Custom Unity Asset ).

Inside the package you will find a few different asset bundles sorted by color.
Each color contains a few variation of aspect and size as show in the screenshot below.

The name of the assets are splitted in 3 informations : count, type of particle, size.
Examples :

- 1k_blurry_big means 1000 particles, blurry appearance, big size.

Read more about this resource...

Cool stuff! Are you going to make more particles? Are you my particle competitor? 😃

Thanks, Haha ! I prefer the term emulation than competition =D

Maybe a bit, but I'm kinda frustrated on the current version of Unity. I want to have fun with GPU particles and vector fields and cool shaders... but we can't do much at the moment with 1.9f2 :(

I'm eager to put my hand on VAM 2.x !

Yes I agree as long as vam has a way to support the gpu particles

Since 2.x is on HDPR, I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem : >

I made a portal with the gpu particles and it put out a normal particle file and a shader file. I just dont know how vam will recognize both files. I hope it doesnt require a script.

There are no problem using custom shader. You could have some strange rendering sometimes, but in the case of my next scene, the material looks way better on a generic shader than with vamifier. So I don't think it should be a problem.

I was sure that GPU instancing was possible only after 2018.3, but I've just verified the documentation and it was possible since 2018.1 with a custom shader. Umhh... i should look into that :p

If you release something, I'd be interested to see how it comes out !

I already tried. When I try to use the assetbundle in vam it just says invalid. It was created using a scene in the hdrp so maybe it makes all prefabs and particles not workin vam because of that.

Took the time to test GPU particles, here is a basic implementation.
With a bit of tweak and optimization it could be really nice. And 50k is a bit overkill anyway :)

The scene runs at 55fps in desktop mode, but as soon as you add clothes, some of them can drop the scene to 15fps (which is kind of strange and I cannot explain why at the moment). But overall, I'm pretty sure that it can be used to make some cool effects :)

Is that using vfx graph? Or what did you use to make gpu particles?

Nope, not at all. You can't use VFX Graph / Shader Graph since we're stuck on 2018 1.9 :)

You have to do it the old fashion way :
- Create a plane in blender (or whatever), 2 tris / 4 verts
- Create a new particle system, Render mode Mesh
- Select your new plane as a mesh
- Create a new material. It has to be (really important) Particles/Standard Surface
- Choose whatever settings you'd like
- Check the vertex streams and correct by clicking "Apply to systems" if necessary.

You can test a ton of different setups with the material, it can lead to really cool effects... i'm trying a few things at the moment. Especially in non-emissive / additive, you can have some really cool result because the particles are affected by the realtime light sources.

Still, this is way better than the Billboard stuff, but this is not as optimized or crazy as a native GPU system like the last versions of Unity or in UE4.
At 50k, you can enable just one piece of clothe with heavy physics and you drop to 10fps.

I just made a quick test with my snow :
- Good setup of liv (clothes with physics disabled if not needed)
- 1 character, 3 lights, 8 particle systems duplicated ( 15k * 8 : 120k )
=> 70fps.

So with a bit of effort from the creators and a good tweak of particles, you can have a ton of particles and good perfs :p

crazy that is interesting I never knew you could do that I will have to try. Interested to see what you do.

Yes things like that tend to be more popular since they work in a bigger variety of scenes. If you do you should make a variety like gentle snow, medium, blizzard, fast and slow.

Back
Top Bottom