Question Do I Need a 4K monitor at all?

capta134

Reactions
I'm a bit confused here:

I have a very good graphic card capable of playing 4k games. Someone told me to get the most most this graphic card
I need a 4k monitor. This part I do not understand.

I only play VR games(for VAM I never use desktop mode). Why Do I need a 4k monitor?

Note : I do use Oculus Airlink to play games wireless from my PC, but still no idea what role a high resolution monitor play here.

Not at all. I’m in the same boat, only play in VR and at the moment my decently high end gaming PC is plugged into a shitty 2nd hand TV my grandmother gave me that just happens to have a PC port 😂🤣☠️

I’m letting someone else use my high end gaming monitor because I just don’t use it for anything, the old TV does fine starting up my PC, then just like you I hook up to AirLink and all is right with the world.

Upvote 0
If you only play VR games the monitor you use is irrelevant because you're using your headset instead of the monitor.
Also, just because you can play games in 4K doesn't mean you have to or want to. The lower resolution you use the more FPS you can get, and likely that's much better than the slight improved looks, if you even see the difference at all. The less you demand of your GPU the less power it uses and less noise, so it's cheaper and quieter.
The person who said you need a 4K monitor doesn't seem to understand basic hardware use, just fooled by marketing.

Upvote 0
You only need 4k when you care about sharpness. I'm using 4k for a few years now, and I can't play without it. For example, if I play a shooter game, everything looks very sharp. Mostly I don't need any technology like anti aliasing. But if I change back to 1080k or even 2k, I have a hard time to track and spot players from a distance, while I don't have this issue with 4k.

Many people say that this picture is edited, while it's not. This is exactly what I mean and I can tell you out of expierence that this picture is true. If you only play VR games and VaM desktop. Then no I don't recommend it. If you play games like Battlefield, Hunt: Showdown, Call of Duty Warzone, Escape from Tarkov etc, then I can recommend it. Because of the sharpness, you can see faster the difference between a player and a bush. If I go down with the resolution, it get's so pixelated that I can't see any difference between a bush or a player.

So, 4k is situational but in your case I would say, not worth it. I'm just a person who likes sharpness. I choose resolution over any other settings. I hate pixelated images.

res-compare.jpg

1080p-vs-4K-e1613469857355.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom