Disabling Windows Security speeds up load time ???

Anand

Reactions
Has anyone looked at what processes are running when loading VaM?

After running Pesadilla's De-duplicator, my load times improved a bit, but it was still almost 7 minutes. So I opened up task manager to see if there was something going during VaM startup.

It turns out that Windows' Antimalware Service Executable was pegged for a significant portion of VaM start. Concerned that malware may have been trojaned in some plugin I downloaded, I investigated and found that the Windows Security alerts all had to do with attempts to modify the Windows hosts file. [c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts]

I looked into the hosts file but nothing weird was going on there. There were no changes to the file. (And frankly, mods to the hosts file is at best a low-medium level security issue).

So I took a flyer and turned off Real-time Protection during VaM loads. Wow! The base load time went from 6:38 to 3:24. Almost half!!!

[To be clear, in this experiment each VaM load was done after fresh re-boots so as not to have weird memory garbage confound the results].

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what's going on? Also, is there a security issue that I'm not seeing due to ignorance?

Thanks

Just tried this and yes, it did reduce my load time by a couple of minutes. Windows 10, i7 12700K, 64Gb DDR4, 4070ti. Now, if only the 4070ti was compatible with Oculus and VAM. It has terrible new visual glitching in several titles (not all). Oculus Support say, "sorry" RTX 4-series not compatibility list for Oculus. WTF?! Really? Oh wait, they want me to buy the upcoming Meta Quest 3 and abandon PCVR. Riiight.

Back
Top Bottom