Question Custom poses in .var files?

pseudoclever

Reactions
Twitter
pseudo_size
I'm attempting to distribute a custom scene where a person cycles through several different poses using a button trigger. I'm doing this with custom pose presets (so I can save the root node and move the person as well.) The button trigger uses the Person->PosePresets->LoadPresetWithName method. This works great on my system. The problem is, these preset poses are missing when I try to distribute the file as a .var. Even when I add all the custom poses in Package Builder (eg. Custom/Atom/Person/Pose/Preset_Couch.vap and .jpg, for example) these files are still marked as missing.

Possibly related sub issue: I'm pretty new to distributing content. I can't seem to get .var files to load. VaM doesn't recognize them unless I change the extension to .vac.

Any thoughts? Is there a better method to include poses with root nodes in files for distribution?

I'm attempting to distribute a custom scene where a person cycles through several different poses using a button trigger. I'm doing this with custom pose presets (so I can save the root node and move the person as well.) The button trigger uses the Person->PosePresets->LoadPresetWithName method. This works great on my system. The problem is, these preset poses are missing when I try to distribute the file as a .var. Even when I add all the custom poses in Package Builder (eg. Custom/Atom/Person/Pose/Preset_Couch.vap and .jpg, for example) these files are still marked as missing.

Possibly related sub issue: I'm pretty new to distributing content. I can't seem to get .var files to load. VaM doesn't recognize them unless I change the extension to .vac.

Any thoughts? Is there a better method to include poses with root nodes in files for distribution?

I'll give this thread a bump, I'm running into the same issue with my latest resource and telling users to extract custom poses(with root saved) locally to get the resource to work, as even though its in the var, it doesn't seem to be available to VAM.

Upvote 0

I think I have a fix after experimenting further - in my scene UI Buttons to change poses/appearance, I was using Person->PosePresets->LoadPresetWithName where it never found the files or showed up in the VAM select menus, but if I changed the method to LoadPresetWithPath, which gives the option to 'Choose Preset File' I could choose my earlier created var itself and path to the files, save and swap out the fixed scene in the var and that var distribution worked(no missing pose/appearance files).

The thing I don't like about this fix is that because the full var path is detailed in the saved scene, new version distributions would have to have the paths changed again in the UI Button actions(or could be lazy and release a new version without changing the version name) - so having a relative var path work(LoadPresetWithName) the same as it does for included audio files(Custom/Sounds) would be good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm aware this is a few year old thread at this point, but I still ran into the same issue and didn't find much other information on the subject.

I just found one partial mitigation approach, where it's possible to use LoadPresetWithName with presets inside packages. I discovered this by loading a preset via the normal/main preset UI and looking at what it then displayed there. Copying and pasting that into an action using LoadPresetWithName works. However, it does seem to require a specific version number (using "latest" as the number doesn't work), so it doesn't really address at least part of the concern from this thread.

The format seems to be:
FULL_PACKAGE_NAME:pRESET_FILE_NAME

As an example, here's a string that worked for me (to load a clothing preset named "Clothing Test" that is within a "Packaged Clothing Test" var):
AlienAxeMan.Packaged_Clothing_Test.1:Clothing Test

Upvote 0
I thought when you used LoadPresetWithPath and then packaged the scene with that preset included, the Package Manager would automatically correct the path to be the one in the package, not the local copy. I know there are scenes with clothing presets where this is done and it worked. Yes, it puts the version number of the package in the path, but if you repackage a new version with the same, or updated preset, it will still be made correct for the new var version. IMO, LoadPresetWithPath is the preferred method.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom