Question Better hand tracking in VAM

Johninvr

Reactions
Do any of you have good experiences with hand tracking in VAM?

I’m currently running Virtual Desktop and a Quest 2, and while the hand tracking does work (I raise my hands and rotate them, my VR hands show up and do the same) actually USING them in game just doesn’t seem to work well at all.

I feel like it’s so close to a useable feature that could really add immersion if there were ways to change a few small features. For instance:

1) when trying to interact with an atom or character, for some stupid reason the VR hand totally disappears if you grab or close your fingers, breaking any semblance of immersion. Is there any way to turn this“feature” off? It looks amazing to reach my real hand out to caress a breast, however as soon as I cup and grab the VR hand disappears, ruining the experience.

2) when the other hand is…. Erm…. “Shaking a can of Pepsi” 🥴 the motion tracker picks this up and typically makes a mess of the whole scene; I.e. hand will disappear and reappear just like the first issue, then even worse sometimes register a “grabbing motion” and suddenly hold the character or models hips or head and fling it around haphazardly, breaking the animation or scene.

In essence, if there was a way to get the hand trackers to ONLY track one hand and ignore the other, along with stop disappearing when grabbing an object the experience would be much, much better.

Has anyone had any better experience or luck with this? I really don’t want to get into leap motion, etc. I feel like there has to be a simple way to get the Q2 native tracking system to interact more coherently with VAM and I’m just missing the right menus.

I’ve played around with the menu in settings/VR2 where you can change from hands to orbs, etc, but with no luck. They either both collide or none, even whenI click to unsync or uncouple them. I can hide the non dominant hand that’s “shaking a can of Pepsi 🥴” but as it moves it reappears and starts manipulating objects annoyingly.

Any ideas?

Not on the quest but on oculus rift handtracking is and has always been ok.

1. i think that's a keybinding that you can check in options, on rift if you pull both triggers on a controller (index+grab) you toggle showing the hands. that's actually a useful shortcut. normally you don't need to push both triggers at the same time, you grab things just with the index trigger button. The grab button is to grab and automatically keep holding (like a toggle, when you let go it will still keep holding until you hit it again).

2. as above, that's because you keep hitting the grab button on the controller with your pepsi, your controller will grab and keep hold the atom it was pointing at until you hit the trigger again.

Basically you shouldn't be using the grab button (the one close you your palm) in vam at all unless you need it for something in particular. Like to grab and keep holding a tool. Or in combo with the main trigger to hide/show the hands.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply SPQR, and great content by the way!

What I’m talking about is the controller free hand tracking, not the controllers. As in, with the quest 2 and Virtual Desktop I can put down both of the controllers (similar to the rift controllers) and just wave my two empty in front of my face. They will then appear in VAM just as In real life but in VR. It’s absolutely AWESOME but with the two major issues I spoke about above.

The controllers work just fine, but I would love to refine the controller free hand tracking so I could really get that next level immersion. I have a set of amazingly lifelike TPE breasts and those combined With hand tracking in VAM make for an absolutely mind blowing experience, However they keep disappearing when I close my hands even slightly too much.

I appreciate your help! Does the rift have controller free hand tracking?

Upvote 0
My bad! i totally forgot quest has that. No, rift doesn't. Maybe turning off "allow grab+trigger" under VR1 in settings might help with that? And to avoid dragging stuff around, you can turn off Allow Posess/Grab from Control for each atom. But I'm just guessing, I hope you get it to work!

Upvote 0
I’ve been trying to get hand tracking to work, may I ask what you do? Is it link or air link? You just open VD and then the normal version of VAM and are able to have hand tracking? Do you have to be possessing an atom?

Upvote 0
I agree Smalls. No idea how Johninvr is doing this, I've never seen hand tracking outside of Oculus Stand Alone, never in PC VR. via AirLink.

Upvote 0
on Oculus quest 2 hand tracking works only via Virtual Desktop. Oculus link do not support hand tracking yet. And it works not really good for now. Movements are very sadle. Full hand tracking support only works on Leaf motion device. So you can even move individual fingers and that will translate correctly to Virt-A-Mate. i think it can be done also on OC 2 if Virt-A-Mate will update suport for better compatability with oculus quest hand tracking. As it already did Virtual Desktop

Upvote 0
Yup, as VergilSardos said I get the hand tracking to work via Virtual Desktop.
Unfortunately it looks like there’s no fixes for the issues I’ve ran into so I’ve been playing exclusively with controllers again.
It would be awesome to play with my real hands, however it just breaks the game too much at the moment.

Upvote 0
I use the leap 170 and it works great. Best way to use that one is to velcro it to the front of the goggles. on the desktop app, change the view to headset and when your arms are in view it will lift the avatar arm and works better than goggle native tracking. you can keep it on the desk too but there may be some occlusion depending on whether or not you're... you know what i mean.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom