Any way to loop a scene

capta134

Reactions
A scene usually start and ends by itself. Is there anyway to make it repeat a number of times?

Yes, there are plenty of ways. It depends on the scene. You'll always need to edit the scene to achieve that (so it requires a Creator key).

If a scene is based on a Scene Animation, you could put it back to the beginning. If it relies on Timeline, you'll need to restart the 1st animation.
You'll also need to reset all things that have been triggered to their default state.

Most of my scenes include a Reset button that does just that.

In all cases, it'll require a bit of knowledge on how to create scenes and a bit of retro-engineering to figure out how it was made.

I see so this is Not as easy as I thought :)

I was thinking maybe a scene plugin do the trick!

Last edited:
The tricky part is: "You'll also need to reset all things that have been triggered to their default state."

If you take a look at my reset buttons, you'll see that there can be a lot of stuff to reset!
But I have to admit that I'm quite trigger-happy ( :p ), some scenes could be much simpler.

A scene usually start and ends by itself. Is there anyway to make it repeat a number of times?
What type of scene or animation are we talking about? (animation patern? timeline? mocap? or whatever else there is to animate?)

I gonna asume you are asking about scene animations?...there's loop option.
goto edit mode > scene animation > check 'Loop Playback'

but tbh there's ways to loop almost anything...without much hasle
(unless you have some linear stuff, than as @ZRSX said some reset trigger is required or 'linearly' loop/animate it back)

What type of scene or animation are we talking about? (animation patern? timeline? mocap? or whatever else there is to animate?)

I gonna asume you are asking about scene animations?...there's loop option.
goto edit mode > scene animation > check 'Loop Playback'

but tbh there's ways to loop almost anything...without much hasle
(unless you have some linear stuff, than as @ZRSX said some reset trigger is required or 'linearly' loop/animate it back)

That sounds easy . Thanks!
What do you exactly mean by "there's ways to loop almost anything...without much hasle"

I see a scene which has play button and reset button, After play button is pressed , scene runs for about 10 seconds and enabling animation Loop
does not make it run again.

Then I assume it is either timeline or mocap which I have not used. How do I identify which of these are used?

That sounds easy . Thanks!
What do you exactly mean by "there's ways to loop almost anything...without much hasle"
note to self: hm...guess this happens when u jump the gun...well, no way to keep this one short...let me try to extend the answer. 🤣

No, no...it's not that simple (easy).
Don't get the wrong idea...to be clear, i was looking from creator pov, based on tools you have at your disposal (to create a scene).
From user stand point (especially newcomers), it's not that simple to seamlessly loop every scene you download.
Some are not intended to be looped (the way they are made).
by tools i mean't (the most common ones):
1. the OG scene animation section for recording (it' has built-in playback loop)
It might work on some animations, but not all of them...
example: if it starts at one point and end at completely different one (it won't look good with loop, character is gonna teleport).
2. animationPattern (it has built-in loop option)
if you downloaded any scene using it, there's a high chance it's already looping (it's usually combined with some other plugin, for interval randomization, or with another AP)
3. timeline (again, it has looping option)
animation could be a long animation with another transition animation in between, or it could be looping animation until 'X' something happens (is triggered) to transition (like 'next' button, climax trigger from different plugin, whatever...)

Those are top3 tools you mostly gonna run into,
there are other plugins and they probably have some sort of loop option
(i only tried some of them to a small extent, can't rly speak much about them...sry).

If your question was (as scene creator) simply can i loop stuff? than yes...you can

But as a 'user' simply looping something might not work smoothly...you might gonna have to look(inspect) and reverse engineer(decode) the scene first.
Or if there's like ~3min scene animation, you might need to chop animation to make looping work (if that makes sense).
and for timeline you might need to find what animation/layer is playing (that you wanna loop),
some of them are probably looping already or there's some trigger that's preventing loop.
You might gonna have to create own set of triggers to replay/reset animations to loop them...
I see a scene which has play button and reset button, After play button is pressed , scene runs for about 10 seconds and enabling animation Loop
does not make it run again.

Then I assume it is either timeline or mocap which I have not used. How do I identify which of these are used?
How to identify?
Like i said above, it depend on how creator made a scene...simply toggling looping might not work.
Hell...there could be a pause trigger of some sort that's preventing it.

If it's timeline you can spot it, if you look at person plugin section (is timeline there?), or just inspect the button (what does it trigger/play?).
Same if there's a scene animation that's playing (or not), than you know...

I'm trying to make a scene loop as well and I've encountered a problem with resetting it. I'm using timeline and the problem I'm having is that at the end of the animation one of the characters drops an object. I have a trigger at the end of my last animation that turns the object's(it's a cua) parent link off and allows it to freely fall from the character's hand. The problem is that the object loses it's placement at that point and therefore I can't reset the scene without physically putting the object back into the hand of the character again; I've tried several things but I'm currently confused about why there isn't a trigger to move an atom to a specific x/y/z position and rotation. Am I missing something? I've looked and tried all the possible triggers and none of them give me the option to simply put the cua back where I want it. I've tried to use presets but the only presets I can trigger for the cua are just textures. I've tried creating the object's own timeline so that I can reset it that way. It works but I just can't help but think that there must be an easier solution.

I've tried creating the object's own timeline so that I can reset it that way. It works but I just can't help but think that there must be an easier solution.
For objects, there is nothing like "Pose" presets (which could include the root position). There is no trigger that will magically put back an object where you want it to be. If you want to change the position and/or rotation of something precisely, you'll need to animate it.

Only other option I can think of it to set up a subscene with your object in it. Reloading the subscene will reset the position of every atom it includes.
1645778643996.png

For objects, there is nothing like "Pose" presets (which could include the root position). There is no trigger that will magically put back an object where you want it to be. If you want to change the position and/or rotation of something precisely, you'll need to animate it.

Only other option I can think of it to set up a subscene with your object in it. Reloading the subscene will reset the position of every atom it includes.
View attachment 100686
Thankyou @ZRSX I'm going to use a subscene. Also, if you wanted to do what @capta134 is talking about, could you create a subscene of the scene he's trying to loop and create a timeline for that subscene's atom? I haven't used subscenes much.

Also @capta134 You can go to the select menu in edit mode and check the "show hidden" box. from there you can go to the control and inspect what kind of plugins are being used. Just be warned, scene atoms can be extremely convoluted. Animations depend on them working exactly the way they're setup. It's like a clock with tiny little gears. It takes a lot of time to get a scene working the way you want even when you start at zero; it may be even harder to have to go backwards first.

If someone can make a universal scene loop plugin it will be greatly appreciated by users.

Even though I'm a newbie to VAM but I'm a seasoned computer programmer.

Please tell me if this is possible in the context of VAM. A plugin which automatically presses Start button and Reset buttons of a scene in specific time
intervals?

If someone can make a universal scene loop plugin it will be greatly appreciated by users.

Even though I'm a newbie to VAM but I'm a seasoned computer programmer.

Please tell me if this is possible in the context of VAM. A plugin which automatically presses Start button and Reset buttons of a scene in specific time
intervals?
I mean I'm not really sure but I don't think it could be done. Every scene is different and they can be pretty messy and complicated. I feel like it would be a pretty big stretch for a plugin to automatically break down any scene and rebuild it.

Back
Top Bottom