Question A couple of CUA questions..

RaccoonInfestation

Reactions
First of all, apologies for noob questions - I'm totally new to both Unity and VaM! I kind of got through all the tutorials and was able to build an interactive scene with a bunch of assets from other vars. Now I'm trying to use my own assets and I have several questions that I spent last several days bashing my head against:
  • I'm trying to add a Particle System as a CUA for smoke/fire effects
    • First of all - is using Particle System a good idea from a performance perspective? Didn't see much of the performance hit but would be good to understand what to avoid
    • I was considering to use Unity scripts to transform the asset (e.g. rotate etc.) Looks like scripts are not bundled with the assets(?), should they be loaded separately as plugins? Or, for a simple stuff like rotation, scale etc., is it better just to use VaM built-in animations/Timeline plugin?
    • While I did import the Particle System as CUA and it kind of works, the scale is definitely incorrect (I've just read that 1 Unity unit = 1m in VaM) but the worst is that I can't scale asset in VaM - adjusting the Scale parameter in "Physics Object" doesn't do anything. Am I missing some component in the Unity object or Particle Effects just don't scale in VaM, period?
    • Any additional Unity components to add to Particle System?
  • From performance perspective, for simple things like displaying a texture on a surface, is it better to use VaM's internal atoms like ImagePanelEmissive+texture or pack Unity Plane and then use it as CUA?
  • Multiple assetbundles vs. a few (one?) assetbundle with all the CUAs? Is there a performance/usability hit?
  • One of the assets keeps falling through the scene despite all of the colliders in place - it has Mesh Collider but even adding e.g. Box Collider component in Unity doesn't help (doesn't look like it's a VaM issue, as soon as I select other assets with Box Collider from the bundle, they do follow physics and collisions as expected) - not quite sure what am I missing in Unity..
Thanks!!

First of all, apologies for noob questions - I'm totally new to both Unity and VaM! I kind of got through all the tutorials and was able to build an interactive scene with a bunch of assets from other vars. Now I'm trying to use my own assets and I have several questions that I spent last several days bashing my head against:
  • I'm trying to add a Particle System as a CUA for smoke/fire effects
    • First of all - is using Particle System a good idea from a performance perspective? Didn't see much of the performance hit but would be good to understand what to avoid
    • I was considering to use Unity scripts to transform the asset (e.g. rotate etc.) Looks like scripts are not bundled with the assets(?), should they be loaded separately as plugins? Or, for a simple stuff like rotation, scale etc., is it better just to use VaM built-in animations/Timeline plugin?
    • While I did import the Particle System as CUA and it kind of works, the scale is definitely incorrect (I've just read that 1 Unity unit = 1m in VaM) but the worst is that I can't scale asset in VaM - adjusting the Scale parameter in "Physics Object" doesn't do anything. Am I missing some component in the Unity object or Particle Effects just don't scale in VaM, period?
    • Any additional Unity components to add to Particle System?
  • From performance perspective, for simple things like displaying a texture on a surface, is it better to use VaM's internal atoms like ImagePanelEmissive+texture or pack Unity Plane and then use it as CUA?
  • Multiple assetbundles vs. a few (one?) assetbundle with all the CUAs? Is there a performance/usability hit?
  • One of the assets keeps falling through the scene despite all of the colliders in place - it has Mesh Collider but even adding e.g. Box Collider component in Unity doesn't help (doesn't look like it's a VaM issue, as soon as I select other assets with Box Collider from the bundle, they do follow physics and collisions as expected) - not quite sure what am I missing in Unity..
Thanks!!
Alot of questions, particle systems will at some point hurt performance. I did a madmax scene that smokes my pc in VR. Haven't seen to many issues in Desktop.

Attachments

• MadMax.gif
    MadMax.gif
    10.6 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
When you do assetbundles the preview for each bundle is a jpg with the same name. If you build something with alot of assets do a jpg with all the included assets. It makes it easier to find stuff

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom