• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Question Is there a scripted way to convert fbx to assetbundles?

VRmatt

Reactions
I downloaded some models, but failed to notice they are other types (mostly fbx).
I've been able to manually convert them, but it would be a huge help if this was scripted.
Any tips or links someone can share, please?

Solution
Possible, yes. Unity Editor is scriptable in theory. But it does only work if all your models are uniform and made in the exact same way. That's unlikely for stuff you "downloaded" somewhere. Stuff you can get for free is almost always broken in one way or another and need manual fixing of materials, scaling issues or root transform. Scripting only makes sense, if you got 1000+ things that all need to be treated exactly the same way. If its less than that you are likely faster doing it by hand.
Possible, yes. Unity Editor is scriptable in theory. But it does only work if all your models are uniform and made in the exact same way. That's unlikely for stuff you "downloaded" somewhere. Stuff you can get for free is almost always broken in one way or another and need manual fixing of materials, scaling issues or root transform. Scripting only makes sense, if you got 1000+ things that all need to be treated exactly the same way. If its less than that you are likely faster doing it by hand.

Upvote 1
Solution
Yeah I've come across that problem. Many models have slightly different setups for texture/material etc.
I still think it would be faster to script the small percentage of them that have a simple setup.
I may get into that when I have some time.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom