Question VR hand lag

janet67

Reactions
Is there anything specific I can do to stop so much hand lag? I am using an Oculus rift 2. Thanks. I am not talking about lag in general, it does help to get rid of things I don't need or hair physics, etc. I use the givemefps plugin. I was wondering of a VAM Oculus setting, Oculus software setting or some trick that is not widely known. I disabled the leap stuff completely, I do not see anything in the Oculus software to change. Probably just screwed until I spend $2000 plus on a new computer. But thought I would ask anyways. thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, Janet,

What are you actually asking? It's not clear.
Ok, I know I am pushing my pc to the limit, as I like to add a lot of plugins, and so forth. I notice that when I load a new appearance, I literally have to wait 30+ seconds until I can really move my virtual hands at all, the lag is so bad. It just appears to me at least for my setup in many scenes, the vr hands have the most lag, especially if I am moving them quickly. I was wondering if there was something specific to the VR hands that can be done. Maybe a setting somewhere I am missing in VAM, or Oculus. Has anyone made a less "quality" set of hands (like an outline of hands) I can use that might help with VR hand lagging? I am not sure that is even possible. Does the rendering setting help at all for lagging, I cannot really tell. I see it effects text quality. I know I am grasping at straws. Unfortunately it is going to be a year or two before I can really get a better PC. I do use the GIVEMEFPS plugin and it helps, I tried SPQRs plugin as well. I remove as much stuff as possible, like sky boxes, etc. Thanks! I know hair is the number one problem with FPS, and Physics are up there too. Besides those two, what is the next fewmajor items that cause lag, sound files? Skin textures?

Upvote 0
Hold on, Janet. That's what I'm saying, you're sharing way too much information and all kinds of questions all at once. Lets break that up into manageable pieces. I can't even read everything without being lost mid way.

The latency between your headset and the PC appears to be really high. I think the Rift S is a corded headset, lag by cable should be miniscule, there's something very wrong there. In a empty scene, what's your FPS like? And in the default template scene?
Do other VR games in your system work ok, is it just VAM like this?

Upvote 0
Is there anything specific I can do to stop so much hand lag? I am using an Oculus rift 2. Thanks. I am not talking about lag in general, it does help to get rid of things I don't need or hair physics, etc. I use the givemefps plugin. I was wondering of a VAM Oculus setting, Oculus software setting or some trick that is not widely known. I disabled the leap stuff completely, I do not see anything in the Oculus software to change. Probably just screwed until I spend $2000 plus on a new computer. But thought I would ask anyways. thanks.

Lets talk about Oculus Rift 2 first. Do you Mean Oculus Quest2 with Rift-Link or are you talking about The Oculus Rift? These devices differ heavily from each other due to different kinds of cable-connections. If you use the Quest2, theres a shit ton of settings you need to set for it to work properly, due to all the Rift-Link connection issues with the Q2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lets talk about Oculus Rift 2 first. Do you Mean Oculus Quest2 with Rift-Link or are you talking about The Oculus Rift? These devices differ heavily from each other due to different kinds of cable-connections. If you use the Quest2, theres a shit ton of settings you need to set for it to work properly, due to all the Rift-Link connection issues with the Q2.
I have the oculus rift 2 Not quest. After working with it for some time trying to understand what is going on, I think there is a memory leak in some of my plugins or windows itself. I admit, I am not good at updating to the latest. For now, at least to large extent it is about 80% better. I still occasionally need to wait a while, when loading a new appearance. And there still is a little lag. There are so many factors. Could be my video card, my configuration, my drivers. IDK for now I live with it. At some point, I will get the quest. This head set is on its last legs. Sometimes I take it off my head and it all falls apart. Or it completely stops working and I have to unplug the video, and audio connections from both ends to get it working again. Thanks for the info, I will definitely do some research before buying the quest. Not sure, what is comparable price wise and quality wise. I do want to be able to plug it directly into my pc. I do want to get a better pc, but it might be a while.

Upvote 0
I have the oculus rift 2 Not quest. After working with it for some time trying to understand what is going on, I think there is a memory leak in some of my plugins or windows itself. I admit, I am not good at updating to the latest. For now, at least to large extent it is about 80% better. I still occasionally need to wait a while, when loading a new appearance. And there still is a little lag. There are so many factors. Could be my video card, my configuration, my drivers. IDK for now I live with it. At some point, I will get the quest. This head set is on its last legs. Sometimes I take it off my head and it all falls apart. Or it completely stops working and I have to unplug the video, and audio connections from both ends to get it working again. Thanks for the info, I will definitely do some research before buying the quest. Not sure, what is comparable price wise and quality wise. I do want to be able to plug it directly into my pc. I do want to get a better pc, but it might be a while.

Alright, if its not the Quests connection issues, we can try some basic performance improvements to squeeze some FPS:

1. Since you suspected the RAM being an issue, try setting up some Virtual Memory. Find a guide here.
2. Make sure you have atleast 5% of each of your Harddrives is free so your used applications or windows dont hit a storage cap and just get stuck.
3. Use CCleaner to clean your pc of older temporary files and fix registry issues. Create a registry backup when the CCleaner asks you to do this, dont skip it. (The Free version works fine, find it here)
4. Do a clean re-install of your Graphics drivers, Update Windows, Update your CPU drivers.
5. If your stuttering isnt gone now, youre going to need new hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found the culprit. It is the Decals Plugin, that is giving me the issue. I have not had time to work it out. But when I turn it off completely all is good. It may have started when he put out an update which does not jibe good with other things that are running. I probably did not check it earlier, since I never had an issue with that plug. I am not saying its the creators problem, but I have reached out to him. I do have other plugins that I run as well, of course. I do not think it is a specific texture either. When I have time I will explore a little more, and hopefully figure it out, as it is a nice plugin to use.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom