• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

VAMcam

Plugins VAMcam 1

VeeRifter

Featured Contributor
Reactions
VeeRifter submitted a new resource:

VAMcam - A plugin to display the output from a webcam on a screen created inside VAM.

VAMcam A plugin for VAM created by VeeRifter

View attachment 245320

DESCRIPTION
This is a plugin to display the output from a webcam on a screen created inside VAM.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Add this plugin to an 'Empty' atom.
2. Open the plugin's UI, select your webcam device and set the required camera...

Read more about this resource...

So, my idea for using this plugin. Apart from watching my surroundings so people can't sneak up on me that is...

You can generate a VaM scene with a cinema, fill it with whatever you want, put a person next to you etc. Use this plugin to generate the cinema screen. But wait, it's just a webcam? No! I have an HDMI capture card that pretends to be a webcam. So I plug the PCs second monitor output back into the capture card, the Cinema in VaM now shows a PC screen. You can then go on to add whatever video playback you want.

You could also setup a computer rig and have the virtual monitor display your PC monitor for *actual work* inside VaM. Combine this with the metachat plugin so you can have a friend drop by to keep you company etc.

Lastly, just sneak it into a scene on a monitor somewhere and publish that scene without mentioning it. Wait for people to get the shock of their lives when they see themselves on the monitor!

As you have found out, the plugin supports virtual webcam software applications too. I have successfully tested FineCam, AlterCam, WeCam, VCam, and ManyCam apps and I'm sure there's lots more. They each have their own varied array of features, including local video playback, YouTube playback, photo playback (including with slide show), web page display etc, etc, Plus a host of filters and effects such as green screen, background erase, superimposing stuff, the list is endless !
I'm sure people will find some unique and intersting uses for this plugin, although I must admit, the initial reception from the VAM community has been disappointing. 300+ downloads so far and only 9 likes, plus your single (and much appreciated) review.
These guys sure know how to encourage free content authors to continue creating new content. [ NOT! ]

Last edited:
I read the plug-in… I was so close. It might have been the fact I wasn’t issuing an empty?
Anyway, thanks again for doing this.
I made my cinema scene. Put a nice model in the seat each side of me and watched Netflix in VR.
It’s nice to finally be able to watch all my paid streaming services in my VR environment of choice, and have company!
We need to organise meta chat cinema nights using this.
I’ve not tried any software vcams because the hardware capture card works so well. The only thing missing is HDCP support but that doesn’t matter when capturing my PC monitor output.
You can also do cool stuff like discord video calls while still in VR.

People clearly are not appreciating just how much this simple plugin lets them do.

I read the plug-in… I was so close. It might have been the fact I wasn’t issuing an empty?
The empty atom is just to have something to host the plugin and to parent the dynamically created screen onto.
It's invisible, which is why I chose it, otherwise any atom could be used to load the plugin onto.

Last edited:
I tried to put the image in front of the apttv asset but the emissive screen showed "through" the webcam. So you need a solid flat surface behind the webcam to hide things that would otherwise show through.
I am just annoyed I couldn't get it to work because I was using the same webcam script commands, I guess I just didn't put the whole script together correctly.

I tried to put the image in front of the apttv asset but the emissive screen showed "through" the webcam. So you need a solid flat surface behind the webcam to hide things that would otherwise show through.
I am just annoyed I couldn't get it to work because I was using the same webcam script commands, I guess I just didn't put the whole script together correctly.
Yeah, the webcam script commands are just standard unity scripting API calls to WebCamTexture . It's the creation of the screen from a Plane primitive for the webcam texture to be rendered onto that you were probably missing.

Back
Top Bottom