• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question Simple way to export a Look as a .var?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
I've been creating several of my own Looks and would like to export them so I can add them to an install of VaM I have on another computer. This seems like a simple thing to do but I can't find instructions anywhere. I did find the How to create a VAR file tutorial but I think it's missing some steps. For example, it says:

Next, click the add file button on the left side (#3).
A new window will open (image shown at bottom). Make sure the "keep open" is checked at the bottom right.
On the top left us the shortcuts to navigate to where you placed the saved files you want to use to create a var file.
Click on all the images and the "dot" whatever files that comes with the saved file. (for scenes, make sure you click the .jpg and its .json)

The sentence "where you placed the saved files you want to use to create a var file" confuses me. It appears that this tutorial was written to export a scene with many elements (looks, assetts, locations, etc.) as a .var. All I want to do is export a Look.

When you have a scene with a Look loaded, where do you save the files and then how do you find them? I of course see the "Save file" option but where is VaM saving everything needed for the Look? In the "Saves" folder I just see .jpg and.json files for all the Looks I've created. That can't be the only things I need to create the .var package, correct?

Ideally it would be great if you could load a Look as a scene and click one button to export it as a .var file that could be loaded into VaM on a different PC. If there is a way to do this that I am missing please share. If not, maybe someone could fill in the steps in that How to create a VAR file doc?

If you save a scene, it gets saved in Saves/scene. If you save an appearance preset, it will be in Custom/Atom/Person/Appearance with a Preset_ prefix. Custom/Atom/Person has folders for different kinds of presets. Package builder is expecting you to select whatever main items you want to build the package for. For a scene, that's the .json and .jpg files. It is supposed to be able to collect all the dependencies and put them in the package. Package builder is for building packages for distribution, and to make things easier for those who download them. I haven't tried this, but you might try just saving a scene file, copy the .json and .jpg to the other computer, then see if "Scan hub for missing packages" will let you download the dependencies. That might be simpler than going through package builder, but that is what package builder is for.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom