Guides quickspeech: quickly load and switch random audio speech

atani

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
atani12.gitlab.io
atani submitted a new resource:

quickspeech: quickly load and switch random audio speech - Make her/him/it say all that nasty stuff you like

Have you been playing around with Text to Speech like Uberduck, ElevenLabs, Tortoise, and many more?
Maybe you are planning to, or already did, create collections of audio files with a person, video game character, you name it, saying all kinds of things to you? Do you want to know how you could load and change those collections without having to remake deeply a...

Read more about this resource...

I reached the last 2-3 segments in the overview of... your upload, at each step holding my breath at every logic bricks logic' mention 🫣😬😨🥵🤧
I think at least for the next 2-3 years my sound tasks will be limited like since always to the vam-standard damned browsesounddtriggthefuckingmp3thatIwaslikingsomuchetc. 😇🙃😅

ps: for some minutes, thank to you I was dreaming a plain linear really fast way to manage audio files, even randomly, just invoking in a vam menu a list of mp3. Yes I know, I am really bastard 🥰😛

Last edited:
Embrace the logicbricks, they save you from so much work and complexity. If I didn't use them probably would need 10 times the triggers and other plugins to make the same scene, and managing that would be terrible.

You can use other plugins like JayJayWon's ActRandomizer, AudioMate, a new plugin that is part of VAMMoan, but you won't get the flexibility you get with LogicBricks. VAMStory Actions can also give you a Relay Brick-like option, same concept at heart.
If the concern is with making a audio assetbundle, trust me, it's really simple. I had never touched Unity in my life, and followign MacGruber's guide was easy peasy, and audio bundles are even easier to do than the sofa example in the guide. Happy to help if you're willing to give it a go.

Yeah for me the biggest hurdle was also installing Unity and creating the assetbundles. I am still doing it not right because sometimes they just fail to build if I am re-using an existing project, really dunno why.
I just exchange the audio files and build fails.
Doing it from scratch project, adding just theAsset Browser Package, it runs like a charm. 5 minute effort if you have your audio files ready.

I already converted tons of my usual Moans, Breathes, Speeches etc in like a few dozen assetbundles. This speeds things up a lot, also scene load.
And with the latest Logick Bricks there came a new brick for audio assetbundles, which let you decide to just plays a specific clip from the bundle or a random one. SO MUCH COMFORT ;)

Thx @atani for creating this guide, with a little work I have so much freedom now on the audio front!

Ok, I expanded the "Audio assetbundle workflow in a nutshell" with a screenshot. Let me know if it's clear on how to make one.

After a couple of tries it takes only a couple of minutes to go from sound files to having a finished audio assetbundle.

Ok, I expanded the "Audio assetbundle workflow in a nutshell" with a screenshot. Let me know if it's clear on how to make one.

After a couple of tries it takes only a couple of minutes to go from sound files to having a finished audio assetbundle.
Honestly, I struggle with the folder structure on your screenshot. You have: Audio -> example folder -> part1 / part 2.

Now I wonder whether I do need those two subfolders (example folder -> part1 / part 2.) or can I just drop the files into the Audio folder.

Edit: Or does part1 / 2 just stands for different audio files, you want to use/trigger seperately inside VAM?

You don't need subfolders, you could just have files. This depends on what you have and what you want to make.
I added subfolders because the SoundfromAB brick can play files from specific subfolders, not just the entire assetbundle, but this is optional. If you don't need it you can just drop the files in with no folders.
I'll leave a note there.

Back
Top Bottom