• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Lumination

Plugins Lumination 1.0.0

everlaster

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
patreon.com
Twitter
everlasterVR
Patreon
everlaster
everlaster submitted a new resource:

Lumination - Advanced lighting rig control app with a user friendly interface.

Lumination is a lighting rig plugin that controls multiple InvisibleLights in a single user interface. It allows conveniently setting up and adjusting lighting in a scene, and offers automatic control of light sources relative to targets in the scene. These automatic controls include auto-aiming, adjusting the light source's distance from the target, and adjusting range, intensity and spot angle based on the distance. For details on these features, see...

Read more about this resource...

Awesome! I'll update my light rig pack with one rig specifically designed for this (spots with target points specified). But first, can you add directional light support?

I use a bottom directional that points up, so it's very cheap performance wise and it gives you this:
VaM 2021-03-10 09-54-09.png

(All other lights and scene GI light off to emphasize that directional light)

It is very GPU friendly, it basically gives you an outline and also makes sure it's never pitch black under the skirt.

If you could update to include directional light support, I'd update my lighting rigs with one that is specifically designed to be used with this plugin. All spot lights (+1 directional), VR compatible, making the subject well lit for viewing and photos from all angles:

rig-unfinished.png

(I really care about room scale VR, walking around the model freely)

And you can include that rig in the package if you would like.
Cheers!

Awesome! I'll update my light rig pack with one rig specifically designed for this (spots with target points specified).
Currently the selected target and the target-related checkboxes are saved with the subscene only if the targeted atom is also in the subscene. But you'll probably want your lighting rigs to only contain the lights and not the person atom.

It would be possible for the plugin to save those settings even if the target is not in the subscene, and then try to guess what to do if the subscene is loaded in a scene that doesn't contain the exact same targeted atom.
But first, can you add directional light support?
It doesn't necessarily seem like something that the plugin should handle. You can always add a directional light to the subscene separately.

I use a bottom directional that points up, so it's very cheap performance wise and it gives you this:
*screenshot*
(All other lights and scene GI light off to emphasize that directional light)
Interesting, I'll try that and see how it looks compared to a low intensity diffuse GI.

It doesn't necessarily seem like something that the plugin should handle. You can always add a directional light to the subscene separately.

It would allow people to import a lighting rig that includes a directional light, without getting a "can't handle directional, defaulting to point" error. (worse than the error is having an additional point light killing their performance if they don't understand what just happened). And directional light support it would allow me to say, "hey, my lighting rig package just got updated, now it's optimized to be imported to Lumination for further tweaking" without excluding that small directional light.

I have already prepared a new 3 spot + 1 direct rig and a new 4spot+1direct rig, I'm ready to update the package.

Currently the selected target and the target-related checkboxes are saved with the subscene only if the targeted atom is also in the subscene. But you'll probably want your lighting rigs to only contain the lights and not the person atom.

I just included the targets in the light names such as FrontLeft_RNipple, meaning: the light that hits the model from front, screen left, is to be aimed at the right nipple of that model.

Interesting, I'll try that and see how it looks compared to a low intensity diffuse GI.

It's pixel lighting, without casting shadows. Cheap but detailed. I combine it with a very very low intensity GI and 3x that for speculars. Gives a foundation to build on:
VaM 2021-03-10 12-48-44 original.png

One of the new rigs I made to be used with this:

new-lighting-rig.png

I was able to make it quickly because this plugin just made it so much easier to tweak the lighting rigs. It's awesome!

Last edited:
It would allow people to import a lighting rig that includes a directional light, without getting a "can't handle directional, defaulting to point" error.
You can avoid that by including the directional light in the subscene but not adding it to the plugin. So just parent it to the subscene and save. When you load the subscene it will work as a directional light as usual but it just won't be controlled by the plugin.

I just included the targets in the light names such as FrontLeft_RNipple, meaning: the light that hits the model from front, scene left, is to be aimed at the right nipple of the model.
Ok. Though I'd also suggest making a demo scene for your lighting rigs that has a person atom and shows an example of how the lights might be aimed and what the result would look like. E.g. have all your lighting rigs in the scene setup the way you vision them, and add button triggers to toggle between the different lighting rigs. The idea is that since subscenes are reusable, they shouldn't be too restrictive with how they can be used, or even too prescriptive in the way they're meant to be used. Instead they should be templates that can be adapted to the scene by the user or the scene creator.

You can avoid that by including the directional light in the subscene but not adding it to the plugin. So just parent it to the subscene and save. When you load the subscene it will work as a directional light as usual but it just won't be controlled by the plugin.

"If you want to use an existing subscene lighting rig that isn't yet integrated with the plugin, you can load the subscene and then the plugin. Lumination will automatically hook up with any Point and Spot InvisibleLights in the subscene."

I do this. It ends up with the error and turns the directional light into a point one. I have to take the directional light out of the subscene before I add the plugin, which means I have to check each light in a rig I import, to make sure that it's not a directional one... It's just you have designed it to be very convenient, especially with this method you have specified so that it automatically hooks up with the lights in a rig. It would be cool if it also left the directional lights untouched.

Oh well, I understand that it is not a priority. I'll update my lighting rig soon with this new setup. Thanks again.

"If you want to use an existing subscene lighting rig that isn't yet integrated with the plugin, you can load the subscene and then the plugin. Lumination will automatically hook up with any Point and Spot InvisibleLights in the subscene."

I do this. It ends up with the error and turns the directional light into a point one. I have to take the directional light out of the subscene before I add the plugin, which means I have to check each light in a rig I import, to make sure that it's not a directional one...
Tested this and it works correctly for me - PM sent.

Thank you so much for this amazing plugin, but I can't use it. Can anyone help me fix it? An error message will display as soon as I load the plugin file in the subscene I created. It says,
!> Compile of Custom/Scripts/everlaster/Lumination/Lumination.cslist failed. Errors:
!> [CS1061]: Type `SuperController' does not contain a definition for `onBeforeSceneSaveHandlers' and no extension method `onBeforeSceneSaveHandlers' of type `SuperController' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference? in Custom\Scripts\everlaster\Lumination\src\Lights.cs at [63, 43]

Thank you so much for this amazing plugin, but I can't use it. Can anyone help me fix it? An error message will display as soon as I load the plugin file in the subscene I created. It says,
!> Compile of Custom/Scripts/everlaster/Lumination/Lumination.cslist failed. Errors:
!> [CS1061]: Type `SuperController' does not contain a definition for `onBeforeSceneSaveHandlers' and no extension method `onBeforeSceneSaveHandlers' of type `SuperController' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference? in Custom\Scripts\everlaster\Lumination\src\Lights.cs at [63, 43]

Hi, updating to the newest version of VAM should fix it :)

I have a person two spots, a subscene with the two spots atached to the subscene and lumination in the plugin of the subscene.
In the plugin, I add the two spots and target them to the head and abdomen of the person
When I save my scene, and load it back, all the lights ae not assigned anymore in the plugin, is it broken or am i doing something wrong?
Do I need to add the person to the subscene?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom