Licensing when only linking to resources as dependencies

Farger

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
I understand the policy of licensing when modifying or repackaging the work of other creators. I also understand the need to credit others under CC-BY, etc.

One thing I was never sure about is how I should treat the license designation of a post that only links to another resource on the Hub. For the longest time, I assumed that I should post my scene as the most restrictive license as the dependency. So, let's say I created a dance scene with CC-BY assets, but I linked to a clothing asset that is CC-BY-NC. I would typically mark my scene as CC-BY-NC; however, I noticed not everyone does that, and maybe my perception was wrong, and maybe I only need to mark the licensing for what I am specifically adding to the scene.

Again, in the scenario, it is all about linking as dependency, not modifying or repackaging.

Last edited:
I would tend to do the same. When I created one of my models the hair was linked to a character with an ND license so I asked for permission to use it making the model covered under the same ND license. I also noted to everyone that if anyone wanted to use the model freely just change the hair.
Honestly, I thought I had an answer for this but now I'm sitting here like🤔

I would tend to do the same. When I created one of my models the hair was linked to a character with an ND license so I asked for permission to use it making the model covered under the same ND license. I also noted to everyone that if anyone wanted to use the model freely just change the hair.
Honestly, I thought I had an answer for this but now I'm sitting here like🤔
I think you point out what makes it unclear, because the people who use your scene will not necessarily download all the dependencies, by listing those resources as a dependency, it is sort of like a recommendation. In that regard, it would seem as though creators would mainly focus on the additional content that they are bringing to the resource, and should focus on the appropriate license for that.

Unless you have repacked all or part of those dependencies, it's not necessary to license your resource with the same license as your dependencies.

The nature of NC (non-commercial) licensed content is such that NC content cannot be used in any kind of marketing, including screenshots, video, advertisements, etc. Since including an NC dependency in a PC resource is a form of advertising (for example: making your Paid resource more enticing by adding some really nice looking NC clothing), resources with NC dependencies cannot be used in Paid content without permission from the original creator.

This is not quite the same as building a resource using NC content in the custom folder. Packing NC content in your custom folder and then giving your resource a less restrictive license is called "License Laundering" and is a copyright violation.

To summarize:

If you have dependencies that are referenced but not included, you can license your resource however you wish. If anyone else uses your resource as a dependency and they directly include some NC dependencies from your content in their new scene, those NC dependencies will become their dependencies and the Hub will scan and report which items are being used and whether or not it is permitted to sell the content in the Paid category.

If instead you include content directly in your var, for example in the custom folder, then you must respect the most restrictive license in that content and license your resource the same, otherwise you are guilty of laundering the licenses.

Unless you have repacked all or part of those dependencies, it's not necessary to license your resource with the same license as your dependencies.

The nature of NC (non-commercial) licensed content is such that NC content cannot be used in any kind of marketing, including screenshots, video, advertisements, etc. Since including an NC dependency in a PC resource is a form of advertising (for example: making your Paid resource more enticing by adding some really nice looking NC clothing), resources with NC dependencies cannot be used in Paid content without permission from the original creator.

This is not quite the same as building a resource using NC content in the custom folder. Packing NC content in your custom folder and then giving your resource a less restrictive license is called "License Laundering" and is a copyright violation.

To summarize:

If you have dependencies that are referenced but not included, you can license your resource however you wish. If anyone else uses your resource as a dependency and they directly include some NC dependencies from your content in their new scene, those NC dependencies will become their dependencies and the Hub will scan and report which items are being used and whether or not it is permitted to sell the content in the Paid category.

If instead you include content directly in your var, for example in the custom folder, then you must respect the most restrictive license in that content and license your resource the same, otherwise you are guilty of laundering the licenses.
Thank you. The first statement in your summary was basically what I was seeking validation of.

Back
Top Bottom