gehtsienichtsan1

Reactions
Hello dear Vam community,

ever since i knew about these cheap DIY VR Haptic gloves (lucidgloves) i tought that it would be really cool if they worked with Vam.
To clarify, i am talking about this:
https://github.com/LucidVR/lucidgloves

It is an open source project and a pair of these gloves can be build for about 60-100 dollars.
The special thing about these is that they support force feedback. That means that are not only tracking your exact finger position, they can also restrain the movement of the fingers so that it feels like you are actually holding a reallife object.

I think this would be a great addition to Vam and increase the immersion by a lot because you could actually touch and feel a person.

I personally am a fan of Vam for some years now and i am motivated to take effort to implement this feature the Vam.
Tough i know about programming to a certain degree i dont really know anything about the technical stuff about Vam.
If someone is out there that has the knowledge and motivation to create a plugin like this, please do so. Me and propably many other people in the community would really apprechiate it.
But i also want to help as much as i can.

So i read trough the docs of lucidgloves and there are some things i found out.
I have to say that i dont really know how anything about this works. I just want to provide an overview of information about what it takes to impement this.

To use the haptic gloves you need to install the opengloves driver: https://github.com/LucidVR/opengloves-driver. This communicates with SteamVr to send and receive input and outputs.

In order for the gloves to send the finger position to the game they use the SteamVR Skeletal Input System. I dont really know about how Vam is receiving the controller input but as far as i know it is possible in Vam to use the finger tracking of the valve index controller and for this they probably use the same system.
https://github.com/LucidVR/opengloves-driver/wiki/Game-Compatibility-List
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/SteamVR-Skeletal-Input

The second thing is how to to the force feedback. As far as i understand it is done using a SteamVr's named pipe.
You have to send a number from 0 to 1000 to each finger of each hand trough this named pipe. 0 means no restriction and 1000 means the hand cant be moves at all.

There is actually a unity demo project which has this already implemented. So maybe it is actually possible to just adapt the scripts.
https://github.com/LucidVR/opengloves-force-feedback-unity-demo

There are also two libraries which seem to be helpful:
https://github.com/LucidVR/opengloves-driver/wiki/Libraries-and-Examples

I am very interested in everyones opinion about this so please let me know what you think.
And i want to note that english not a first lanuage to me so i hope you dont mind too much about some mistakes.

Any progress on this mate.
Was about to dust off my parts that I bought and put them together, then remembered it probably isn't supported on Vam.
Pretty sure tracking should work, but force feedback is the real goal.

Just as an add on to this - possible to have support for haptic vests / feet / arms products? Recently tried these in skyrim and they are pretty neat - enemies hitting you or brushing against things when you walk trigger haptic feedback.
So far they only support profiles specially written (i cannot code to make my own) or audio haptic (any noise above certain range triggers general feedback) but be neat if you could have some sort of support that sent haptic feedback to the devices based on collision.
I was aware of a driver SPQR (or plugin?) that gave haptic feedback via steam but cant find anything for these devices.
Regarding the haptic gloves, probably going to build my own re the above posts because it doesnt look like we are getting any commercial release anytime soon :/
(why are we skipping the fun stuff and moving straight to ai chips in the brain, we went from vr wands to brain chips and missed the cool suits and haptic gear)

Just as an add on to this - possible to have support for haptic vests / feet / arms products? Recently tried these in skyrim and they are pretty neat - enemies hitting you or brushing against things when you walk trigger haptic feedback.
So far they only support profiles specially written (i cannot code to make my own) or audio haptic (any noise above certain range triggers general feedback) but be neat if you could have some sort of support that sent haptic feedback to the devices based on collision.
I was aware of a driver SPQR (or plugin?) that gave haptic feedback via steam but cant find anything for these devices.
Regarding the haptic gloves, probably going to build my own re the above posts because it doesnt look like we are getting any commercial release anytime soon :/
(why are we skipping the fun stuff and moving straight to ai chips in the brain, we went from vr wands to brain chips and missed the cool suits and haptic gear)

Try this Plugin from MacGruber, In theory you can make a haptic vest, or any haptic device, or control in real life lamps, fans, etc., only if you have basic knowledge of electronics and Raspberry Pi.

I've read of certain gloves in the market that allow users to FEEL VR/AR and not just a series of preprogrammed vibrations. I'm hoping we can finally leave the STARFOX 64 rumble pack thing in the past.

I hope it's not just marketing by these companies and the gloves, vests work as advertised. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a current demand for it (as far as I'm aware) and they're also very expensive. Hopefully within the next 5 years we get to FEEL up on our ladies.

Still nothing commercially available - lots of promise and very little else. Skyrim with haptic gear is fun, but no rumbley fingertips for melee combat or VAM related activities :p
On related side note - haptics player and coding for personal profiles is so much harder than it looks. How DO they make those game specific mods ...

Back
Top Bottom