• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Cyber Home

Assets Cyber Home 3

Jiraiya

Reactions
Jiraiya submitted a new resource:

Cyber Home - Bring your Quest home into VaM

This is a direct rip of the native Quest Cyber Home environment. I have done my best to get it working well as an asset.
A lot of the animations are missing as I couldn't work out how they were meant to run and ended up with all sorts of odd things happening. The important ones seem to work however. The lighting is all pre-baked into the asset so you only need to light your model.
There are mesh colliders so you can touch as well as use gravity.
I removed the external elements, it works well...

Read more about this resource...

This is a nice environment. Any chance you could update it to use the VaM shadow library so lighting works properly with it? Using vamifier to fix shadows/lighting doesn't work well with this particular environment.

See section 6 of this guide. Once you replace the shadow library all assets you make going forward will have proper shadows/lighting for VaM.

Thanks for the reminder! I had looked at the shadow thing a while back but totally forgot to investigate it.
When I get some time I will try and see what the difference is like. I might have to redo some other assets.

It is really easy to do basically just copy some files into the specified location (after backing it up) then launch unity and tell it to clear the shadow cache so it uses the new one. Then built in vam lights will properly affect your asset, creating shadows etc.

So, I tried but it looks the same to me!!
It was exactly the same file size, how do I tell if it actually used the different library?
I renamed the old file, I copied in the new one, I cleared the GI Cache and rebuilt the asset.
It was the same...

Yeah, not noticing a difference either. I'll test it in unity later using the asset ripper and see if I get different results.

Here is the new version of the asset, you can see shadows on characters from the one light don't match the shadows on the environment, second images has vamifier which fixes that but makes environment lose a lot of its detail, third is an asset converted with updated shadow library with no vamifier but shadows working. Normally you don’t use shadows this strong but by lowering them on the original your characters basically cast no shadows on environment.

VaM 2023-02-25 14-11-46.jpg
VaM 2023-02-25 14-12-32.jpg
VaM 2023-02-25 14-13-47.jpg

Last edited:
It's probably mostly to do with how this model was made. Which, I guess was a way to optimise it for the headset.
shadows and lighting are basically part of the materials. All materials are "emissive" and the shadows are part of the texture itself.
I tried removing the kitchen props and their shadows remained on the texture of the table and shelves etc, so this is probably not something that can be easily worked around with this model.
As least the floor for the bed area is working now. They missed that out because you never see it when using the headset so why put it in the model.

You could be right, I haven't made any assets with baked lighting or emissive textures yet so that might be the issue. But the shadow library is at least updated and should avoid the issue for other assets that aren't set up the same way.

Ok, so I have proven on another model the shadow library thing doesn't seem to be working for me.
I put the file in the right place, I cleaned the GI cache, but when I load the model, it's still black unless I add the plugin to fix it.
I will try and look into why its not using the right shadow library.

Back
Top Bottom