Customizing clothing for different body types.

GordonShock

Reactions
Hello all,

I recently discovered VAM, and I've been using most of my free time since then to dive into it. I've learned quite a bit so far, mostly by experimentation, but the amount of information, options, and monikers are so vast that I'm having a hard time going from green to less green. I'm far from being able to create, so my focus is to continue to experiment and learn from that. There are so many great looks, and assets of all kinds here, but my main interest lies more in large-breasted models, whether they be women or futas.

@WeebUVR has released a good many pieces of clothing that seemed ready to be swapped between similarly proportioned looks, and my experiments and tweaks with them are quite fruitful thus far. Now when it comes to clothing made for smaller models, most of them seemed impossible to be adapted. I discovered a great many guides to make them fit, but I'm not sure which one is the most appropriate.

There are @mopedlampe guides, but they deal with importing external assets, while I just want to tinker with free assets that can be found here. That being said, I understand that vams can be unpacked, so is it possible to use a piece of clothing found in a vam and adapt it through his methods?

There's also @atani guide for sim textures, and I experimented quite a bit with it, but some pieces of clothing don't seem to be made to be stretched; which makes sense, a corset is not supposed to stretch :giggle:

There may be other techniques I am not aware of as well ...

So what is the best way to go about achieving the titular goal?

Regards.

Clothing works best on the same body type it was imported on. A shirt imported on a huge chested model isn't going to work well with a model with smaller breasts, or vice versa.

You can make adjustments on the clothing item physics tab (play with the sliders to get a feel for them) but that only works to a point. But it's probably the best you can do.

Yes, re-importing the clothing would fix the problem, but for that you need the original Daz clothing files that the clothing creator imported in the first place. Having the vam files is not enough.

"Unpacking" is a totally different thing (removing the item from the var package and making a local copy of it) , and wont help at all for this.

Thank you @DJ

This all makes sense.

I've got a few more follow-up questions if I may.

-Sometimes, a piece of clothing that comes with a look will not exactly fit. One particular look came with a very slim gala dress with thin straps. I successfully managed to fit the straps but there would remain a fairly large gap between the breasts and the fabric, no matter which functions I would try to tweak in the "adjustment" or "physics" tabs. When I did manage to snug it, the result would come at the expense of the straps that no longer fitted. What could be the culprit here? The collision points? The way the piece of clothing was made and its baked-in parameters? Me not finding the right mixture of tweaks?

-Conversely, I have experimented with some clothing that perfectly fitted right off the bat, and tweaking the proportions of the body in small increments would require little adjustments to the clothing to fit again. Why is one piece of clothing easy to work with while it is harder for another, even when not changing the proportions of the body?

-I understand the workflow required to adjust the clothing, but this raises two questions
1. Suppose I have the original clothing file. I open DAZ, load a Gen2 female, and import the clothing. The bare Gen2 model doesn't have the body proportions I am looking for, which would send me back to square one. Does the VAR contain a file in which the proportions used are stored? If so, is there a way to import them into DAZ and applied them to the base model, or do I have to recreate the proportions from scratch?​
2. This forum has a "request the community! subforum. If I were to make a post there asking creators to share their original clothing, would that be frowned upon or is it permitted?​
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom