• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Creating Rigged Humanoid CUA

1. Find a character or export a vam obj 2. Open in blender then export as fbx 3. Upload to mixamo.com and rig / animate (optional) 4. save as fbx 5. Load into unity, add textures, add hominoid animation (tab) 6. Add animation controller and place the mixamo animation into it. 7. Add that controller to object. 8. Make assetbundle. 9. Use unity animator plugin to control speed.

I found my guide , i can send it to you if the above instructions seem within what you want to do.

The issue I'm finding is following the guide gives me the assetbundle file, which I load into VAM and select my variant, but nothing seems to load. If you have a guide can you link it here?

Edit it seems like it actually is working, just completely black and animates without the plugin.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be blunt honest: if wish I had to to explain step by step every single aspect of game dev to any of you guys... but that's just a sweet dream. There is a lot to learn and understand, and there are plenty of resources already on youtube to help you with that.

But I can point you in the right direction.

There is pretty much nothing to explain (for a CUA) than simply learning how to do a rigged character in Unity. You would need to understand rigging, bones and all that stuff.
So, first, simply start from Mixamo's system. It will give you all the basics of importing a rigged and animated FBX.

From there, you will have a proper avatar that has a state machine with a (or a handful) of animations attached to it. Then, to control the animations, you will need to understand the basic of c#, working with components and changing animation states.

This is where community's content comes in handy: you can look in my code how I did it. You have a pretty solid base to work with and understanding how you can control a rig through a VaM script.

This is not magic tho. You will not be able to use my plugin on your characters just because I'm working with a really specific setup... you will need to code your own plugin :)

I hope it helps at least a bit.

Start simple ( a single character, a single animation or two ), then... when you grasp all the concepts behind that, expand your system.

I hope it helps at least a bit.

Thanks for your response, I've gotten my character mostly working in VAM, but the materials are absorbing all lighting, and is pitch black. I'm still trying to find the issue there.

As for learning plugins/extending VAM do you have any good guides handy? I have worked with Unity and C# quite a bit before.

Thanks for your response, I've gotten my character mostly working in VAM, but the materials are absorbing all lighting, and is pitch black. I'm still trying to find the issue there.

As for learning plugins/extending VAM do you have any good guides handy? I have worked with Unity and C# quite a bit before.

If you have a pitch black character, that looks like a material issue. Start with a basic default shader/material, then like the rest, when you understand the concept of shader and materials, try to use some custom ones if you want.
It's pretty straight forward for the default material, it should not be black like this : )

This is a good place to start for a basic CUA editor.
And this is a good place to start to understanding the asset creation process.

Back
Top Bottom