Can´t use VR on PICO 4.... Just in 2D

ILLee69

Reactions
Hey there,
before I start. This is my first experience with VR. Before I was used to play VAM in Desktop Mode.
Hope somebody will help me with my issue. I bought a PICO 4 to use VAM finally in VR. So far PICO 4 is working with everything but not with VAM. I just get a 2d Model which is shown double and has nothing to do with VR as you can see in the picture. It looks like you have a big screen which is surrounding yourself by 360 degree. So with Steam VR I have the issue. Also without. I made a new .bat file to lunch without Steam VR. I made a new installation of VAM. Before it looks like VAM was not able to lunch in VR anymore. So actually it is starting in VR due to I am able to press M to switch to Desktop and VR.
I already read that PICO 4 is working with VAM, but for my bad I don´t get it. I don´t have any fucking clue why it is not working. I am using virtual desktop so far. I tried to use it with cable connection but unfortunatly virtual desktop can´t handle cable´s anymore as I found out. With the streaming assistant of PICO it is not working because I don´t have a desktop to start VAM.

What did I do:
Create a .bat file to start without Steam VR - not working
Start with Steam VR - same problem
Tried with cable - no virtual desktop to start VAM
Start with Virtual Desktop. Used VAM.exe, OpenVR.bat, own written .bat to start without SteamVR, VAM_update.exe and launch in VR.
Made a new installation of VAM

I am playing on a Laptop:
Prozessor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
RAM: 64,0 GB
Grafik: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU

Hope somebody can give me an advice how to fix my problem. Thanks a lot!

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.10.28-22.39.02.152_153.jpeg
Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.10.28-22.29.32.288_825.jpeg

I have a Pico 4 and use VD with it. Everything worked fine from day one.
When you say "Create a .bat file to start without Steam VR - not working", what do you mean by that?
This is the contents of my bat file to bypass SteamVR:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "D:\VAM\VaM.exe"
The bat file needs to be executable and you need to correct the paths to yours.

I have a Pico 4 and use VD with it. Everything worked fine from day one.
When you say "Create a .bat file to start without Steam VR - not working", what do you mean by that?
This is the contents of my bat file to bypass SteamVR:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "D:\VAM\VaM.exe"
The bat file needs to be executable and you need to correct the paths to yours.

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "H:\Vam\VAM.exe"
This is my .bat file. If I use it VAM starts but in the end i have this 2d issue.

And it's not going through SteamVR, right?
Why is it called VAM.exe in yours, mine's VaM.exe. Try removing that VAM.exe file and doing a core check (vam_updater.exe).
Another option is to check and update your graphic card drivers.

And it's not going through SteamVR, right?
Why is it called VAM.exe in yours, mine's VaM.exe. Try removing that VAM.exe file and doing a core check (vam_updater.exe).
Another option is to check and update your graphic card drivers.
yes, right. On SteamVR I have the same issue.
But now something strange happened. So you are right with VAM and VaM.exe. Didn´t noticed that. After I changed it to VaM.exe it was working..... But just for one time!? After changing to VaM.exe and execute the file it was working in VR. So started two scenes for testing and one scene crushed and closed VaM. After restarting the same File I have the same Issue again... I don´t get it honestly. So as you mentioned I deleted the VaM.exe file. Made vam_updater core check and repair etc. Started the .bat file which it was already working with and still the same issue. graphic card drivers are up to date.

Something strange is happening on your system. How did you get it to be VAM.exe in the first place?
Is there anything special about your system or VaM folder, a H partition in a laptop is not that usual for example, to consider permissions problems or even anti-virus doing weird stuff?

Something strange is happening on your system. How did you get it to be VAM.exe in the first place?
Is there anything special about your system or VaM folder, a H partition in a laptop is not that usual for example, to consider permissions problems or even anti-virus doing weird stuff?
My VaM folder is on an extra NVMe SSD connected to the laptop by USB 3.2. You think this may can cause issues? I am just wondering why it worked exactly one time after changing VAM to VaM.exe in the .bat folder. I could move some data from one place to another I put VAM directly on the internal NVMe SSd´s? You think that could solve the problem?

So, I moved my files to an internal NVMe SSD. The speed is much faster, but didn´t solve the problem. Anti Virus and firewall is off. Virtual Desktop works well. Starting VAM, still the same issue. Virtual Desktop needs to pluged in the router? Does it have any impact on this 2d issue? Actually I am in a Hotel, so not possible. With my Wifi I have a speed about 900mbps. Virtual Desktop complained about some programms, but I deinstalled killer wireless and there are no open points from Virtual Desktop. I also tried it now with cable.... starting streaming assist of pico, unfortunatly you need to use SteamVR, but there is a Virtual Desktop as well. So installed and started the game from desktop and still the same..... I don´t know how it was possible that it worked just one time. I have no clue.

Are you launching VAM by clicking directly on the bat file, or through the Virtual Desktop Streamer app? If you haven't yet, launch it from the VD app. On your PC, right click the VD icon and select launch. Then navigate to that bat file and open it that way. You may have already said that - my apologies if I missed it.

Are you launching VAM by clicking directly on the bat file, or through the Virtual Desktop Streamer app? If you haven't yet, launch it from the VD app. On your PC, right click the VD icon and select launch. Then navigate to that bat file and open it that way. You may have already said that - my apologies if I missed it.
I started the .bat file by VD and by Computer. Both the same, but what do you mean by right click? I tried it with right click and open with throught the headset, but what you mean with right click on VD and then navigate to the .bat file? There´s another option?

I started the .bat file by VD and by Computer. Both the same, but what do you mean by right click? I tried it with right click and open with throught the headset, but what you mean with right click on VD and then navigate to the .bat file? There´s another option?
Yeah, no problem. So in your PC, down in your Windows Taskbar (bottom right corner) you'll see the active icon for Virtual Desktop. On mine it's a little green icon. (keep in mind you have to already have Virtual Desktop running in your headset) right click that little icon and one of the menu items is "launch" or something like that. (I'm not at my PC at the moment). Click that launch link and then naviage to the bat file and open it that way. I'm not sure it'll make a difference as you tried it through the headset, however I've used VR for years, Pico 4 for about 6 months, and sometimes when I've had issues this would work for some reason. Worth trying.

Last edited:
If that doesn't work I'm with atani - I don't know what it is, either. I wish I could help. However if you'll go over to the Virtual Desktop Discord page those guys can figure out anything. Betcha they can help you. There's also a pretty active Pico reddit group you could look to (nor sure if they have a Discord). Don't give up. It's worth the effort.

So, thanks for your help mates. It´s working now. Just need to clean up my addon folder. Guess to much .var´s inside after using VAM continously^^ First I moved all files out out this folder and then it was running immediately. Now I am placing all var´s step by step back to the folder. But just this one´s I really need. :p
Thanks for your help again.

So, thanks for your help mates. It´s working now. Just need to clean up my addon folder. Guess to much .var´s inside after using VAM continously^^ First I moved all files out out this folder and then it was running immediately. Now I am placing all var´s step by step back to the folder. But just this one´s I really need. :p
Thanks for your help again.

Sweet! Glad it's working. Good reference there, I always have one completely clean install on a separate folder that only has the installed files and nothing else and I can often go to that to solve issues. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom